Envoy September Schedule 2023 - Roscoe

Hey everyone!

September was my first month as a line holder here in DFW for Envoy. Unsurprisingly, it was my busiest month so far. This month I dealt with significant weather, my first IMC approach to minimums in CLT, and several bird strikes (no damage thankfully). For my September monthly bid award, I was given a line with 14 days off. During the trip trade window, I ended up trading 3 of my 5 trips for better overnights and higher credit time. In the original award I was given my first Charlotte overnight, and luckily it was long enough that I could go home and see my parents, which was nice! I also spent a lot of time this month trying to pick up as much flying as possible. I mostly tried to pick up turns that would still have me home for the night. I was lucky enough to have one of my OT trips displaced for an FO’s IOE, so I got paid the OT rate for the trip and got the days off! I did lose some flying during the month due to weather and misconnects, which ended up resulting in some deadheads to rejoin the trip.

Due to maintenance issues, I had a rare full day of flying with no autothrottles, which was a lot of fun. Our flight from Key West to Miami, which was only about 15 minutes in the air, was challenging since it was my first time outside of the sim without them. I certainly gained respect for those who don’t have aircraft with autothrottles. I forgot what it was like to have to worry about moving the throttle myself. I definitely did not roll down the speed bug, after being fully configured, and wonder why the speed wasn’t coming down like usual. Took me a few seconds to realize…

I think the highlight of my month was having the opportunity to fly a family friend, an American Airlines pilot, home for his commute. 4 years ago when I had aspirations of being a commercial airline pilot, I met and had lunch with him to discuss this career and what I could do to make it happen. I think that day was really a turning point for me and I’m sure that he helped convinced me that it was something achievable. So, to be waiting at the gate at DFW and see him walk up to ask for a ride home was a real full circle moment. It was probably one of my most challenging flights yet with Envoy. We dealt with several thunderstorms and heavy rain on the approach, followed by a strong crosswind landing. I am very lucky that I had the opportunity to speak with him after the flight and thank him once again for helping me get here. It was certainly a flight that I’ll remember for a long time.

Here was my schedule for the month of September:

Originally Awarded
Block: 72.14
Credit: 79.52
Days Off: 14

Actual
Monthly Flight time: 80.57
Credited time: 102.56 (75.49 min guarantee + 27.07 hours OT)
Nights away from base: 13
Days off: 9

31 - OFF
1 - DFW-CRP-DFW (OT)
2 - DFW-LRD
3 - LRD-DFW-HRL
4 - HRL-DFW-LRD-DFW-LFT
5 - LFT-DFW-LFT-DFW
6 - OFF
7 - OFF
8 - OFF
9 - DFW-AVL
10 - AVL-MIA (misconnected due to weather)
11 - MIA-DFW (DH)/ DFW-HRL
12 - HRL-DFW (DH) (Captain had a line check and an observer)
13 - OFF
14 - OFF
15 - DFW-LIT-DFW (OT)
16 - DFW-LIT
17 - LIT-CLT-SGF-CLT
18 - CLT-HHH-CLT-XNA
19 - XNA-DFW-GJT-DFW
20 - OFF
21 - DFW-MEM-DFW (OT)
22 - OFF
23 - DFW-MAF-DFW (OT) DFW-BMI
24 - BMI-DFW/DFW-HSV (DH)
25 - HSV-CLT-EYW-MIA-AVL
26 - AVL-DFW
27 - DFW-HOU-DFW-HSV-DFW (OT)
28 - DFW-CRP-DFW (OT)
29 - OFF
30 - DFW-SDF-DFW-BHM

I’m expecting a slightly more relaxed month for October. I was awarded another line but I think I’ll ease up on the OT to give myself more time off after a busy September (I can’t wait to come back and read this after I get bored and attempt to pick up more OT again).

See you next month!

Roscoe

3 Likes

Roscoe,

Looks like a super fun-filled month! I’m glad you got to visit Charlotte not only to visit family, but airline side of things. Did you depart off of 36R or land 18L to see JQF?

Brady

1 Like

Brady,

It’s always fun for me going in and out of Charlotte (despite how bad the taxiing can be). We departed off 36R a couple of times on the way to Hilton Head and Key West. Both times the right turn took us right over JQF and then southbound over my house, which was pretty cool!

Roscoe

Roscoe,

That’s awesome, it’s always fun seeing the spots where you first started. I get to fly over Trenton sometimes when going up north/northeast out of Philadelphia.

What’s the highest/longest you’ve hand flown? You mentioned about having no autothrottles, have you gone up to the FL’s hand flying? I think no autothrottles is fun :wink:

Brady

1 Like

Brady,

I will admit, it was pretty fun to fly without the autothrottles, it added a whole new aspect to the approach planning that we don’t normally have. I’ll have to turn them off more often to practice. Typically I hand fly up to transition altitude, then I’ll turn the autopilot on once we are just climbing in a straight line for a while. Not sure the highest I’ve gone hand flying, maybe 260 or 270. My goal is, at least once, to hand fly an entire flight, I just haven’t had the confidence to ask a captain to let me do it yet! I’m sure they would let me, but it would be a heavy workload for them, especially on a quick flight.

Roscoe

1 Like

Glad you 2 are having fun but just remember that pesky RVSM autopilot thing. And before you hit me with the well the reg says you must have a working autopilot BUT doesn’t say it has to be engaged, the ICAO does. Further when the FAA says you should have something the “expectation” is you’ll use it. If you don’t and something unexpected happens you need to have a REALLY good reason why you didn’t.

This PSA comes from your former pilot union Rep Adam :grinning:

1 Like

Adam,

I see your point. Although, I never have nor do I plan on hand flying above FL290. This was more towards a flight between DFW/Killeen, DFW/Waco or MIA/EYW, where we don’t even reach the flight levels and spend minimal time at cruise.

Roscoe

Adam,

Stick and rudder skills deplete if I just ask for autopilot at 500’ AGL :frowning: , I like hand flying departure procedures if it does not task saturate my crewmate.

For anyone inquiring what regulatory requirement Adam is referring to, RVSM is mandated above FL290, which you must have complied equipment to operate in due to reduced vertical separation. If anyone is going for an airline interview, this is something that you should be familiar with as I’ve seen this question asked in 3 different interviews.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/foa_html/chap6_section_9.html

Brady

1 Like

Brady,

Yes I’m aware of perishable skills and yes you should keep yourself sharp but don’t be that guy who’s handflying while your PM is switching freq’s, helping you dodge storms, looking for traffic and spinning your heading and alt while there’s flames coming off their fingers!

As far as flying departures, as long as they’re not RNAV 1, which usually specify the AP should be engaged as soon as practical, fly your little heart out.

Adam

1 Like

I feel like at this point in my career, my hand flying credentials are verified. Autopilot on at 1,000 and off again at 1,000. We can all follow a flight director.

2 Likes

I honestly really enjoy hand flying but part of CRM is knowing when is the right time or place for it. That can depend on the phase of flight, weather, workload, communication and skill level of the pilot you’re flying with. Just a few things to think about when determining if it’s appropriate :slight_smile:

Hannah

2 Likes