AME Certification Question

Hi, my name is Mike. I have completed the introductory flight course a few backs. I was ultra excited to get start training with the end goal of becoming an pilot. However, I was deferred by the AME to get my avaiation medical certification due to my past mishaps (DUI 2 years ago). I am trying to changed my life for the better and have recently taken an interest in becoming an airline pilot. I am in limbo at the moment because I know it is a process that I need to go through now.
Questions:

1. Now being deferred, what recommendations do you have for me while I wait on OKC to mail me further information?
  2. Would being deferred have any hinderance on be pursuing this dream of mine?
  3. Is there other areas of aviation I could pursue if I am unable to become an pilot?

Mike,

1. There’s really nothing you can do, it’s up to OKC but honestly it’s probably not good. DUIs are not the kiss of death for a career but the FAA and the airlines want to see some time lapse before they’re ready to take a chance. This way they can see if this was a one shot mistake or if there’s a pattern. 2yrs isn’t much.

2. Absolutely. You need a First Class medical and without one you cannot be an airline pilot, period. Further EVERY airline application you fill out will ask.

3. That’s entirely up to you but sure there are plenty. Flight attendant, ramper, ticket agent, ATC, the list is long but know that a DUI is not looked upon favorably in this industry.

Adam

Mike,

If the FAA has deferred your medical, all you can really do is wait and follow their lead on what they are asking. Usually one DUI is not a huge issue, but any more really can be.

I would probably not spend any time on flight training or studying until you are able to obtain your first class medical certificate.

As to your chances of being a pilot, it really depends on how many legal issues you have had and how far back they were. I don’t mean this to sound rude, but the airlines want people that have their life together, not those who are getting their lives together.

Chris