Faa written exam private pilot

I just took the written exam for Private Pilot and scored 80%. I know passing is 70% and you want to aim for 90s so your DPE doesn’t go hard on you for oral or checkride. I made stupid mistakes on some of the questions I got wrong…I could’ve gotten over 90% for sure but it is what it is. Would you say I am fine with 80% or should I retake it… the exam is so expensive. Not sure that money is worth for extra 10%. If i got 70% I would definitely invest money to take another one to get more than 70% but since I have 80% (not saying it is a high score, but i DON’T think it is low either.)

Daniel,

I’d keep the 80. Not much difference between an 80 and a 90 with 2 attempts (which will show on the exam results). Just be better prepared for your oral than you were for the written because it will be thorough.

Adam

1 Like

Daniel,

I would keep the 80%, but be very prepared for the oral exam. Yes, an 80% is a low score. You might not think it is low, but an examiner will. I would really encourage you to prepare more thoroughly for your future written exams.

Chris

Daniel,

Keep the 80% and move on, if you attempt it again you could do worse or fail (not trying to scare you, just being straight and honest). Make sure you review your deficiencies well, a DPE is required to go over them per the ACS (in the Appendix section).

I recommend using the ASA Oral Exam Guide book as a preparation tool. It is very useful and helps guide you through the ACS in a question and answer format.

Brady

1 Like

Daniel,

The oral guide book Brady linked paired with the Private ACS are your two best resources for Checkride prep. The examiner will come out of the gate hitting you hard on ground knowledge because the initial impression with that test score is that you’re weak in that area. If you put in the time and effort to have a bullet proof oral, you’ll be fine.

As for the rest of your exams, Sheppard air has an incredibly successful recipe for getting good test scores. Once you get started with the IRA database, read all the directions thoroughly and follow their protocol to the tee. That will help ensure good test scores for the rest to come.

Hannah