Highschool requirements

Hello I’m 17 and senior in highschool and I just want to make sure of some things before my year starts. Do I need any highschool requirements to become a pilot like 4 years of math or a certain subject to get accepted into certain flight schools?

Daniel,

Not at all. Just a HS diploma and do well enough to continue your education and into college. Also try to do well in college as some airlines will consider your GPA.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you so much for responding that was helpful. I also have another question though do I need to go to college if go to ATP or American Airlines cadet academy. I know some airlines prefer 4 year degrees but is that something that’s required everywhere, and if it is what courses and majors should go for?

Sorry for so many questions I’m just curious

Daniel,

First don’t be sorry, that’s what we’re here for. As for college this question gets asked daily and while no airline actually requires college, all (including AA prefer it). Is it possible to get to a Major without it? It is but you’re severely limiting your options. My counting on a flow-thru you’re severely limiting your options and they’re a really good chance you’ll see your peers advance while you don’t.

As for what to study that’s entirely up to you. We generally recommend something other than aviation. The airlines really don’t care as to your field of study and it’s always good to have a Plan B should aviation not work out for any reason.

Adam

1 Like

Ok thank you so much for the information!

Daniel,

Welcome to the forum. No, there are not any high school requirements that you will need to meet to be an airline pilot. Just try to have a respectable GPA. While you do not need a college degree to work for the regionals, you will most likely need to plan on getting one if you want to make the jump to the majors.

Chris

1 Like