ICAO ATP/CPL to FAA ATP

Hello,

I have a question regarding ICAO ATP/CPL to FAA ATP. I am currently a US permanent resident. I came here with my Australian CPL/ME/IR and had it initially converted to FAA PPL(foreign based). I am a former airlines First Officer on B777/87 with roughly 6000h flight time. My type rating expired few months ago. At the moment Iam looking for a FAA ATP conversion course. According to 14 CFR part 61.153, as my understanding, I am eligible to obtain the FAA ATP if I am qualified for the following requirements:

Verification letter from the FAA,

First Class Medical Certificate

Either an ICAO ATP or CPL,

Attend and pass the CTP ATP course,

Pass the knowlegde written test,

Pass the practical test, and

Meet the flight experience requirement.

I would like to ask if the 61.153 applies to my case because I believe I meet all requirements above.Do I have to get the FAA ATP certificate first in order to apply to some regional airlines or they will pay the conversion/type rating when I get hired?I am looking forward to hearing from you and highly appreciate any help.

Minh,

You will need your FAA pilot licenses to apply to any US based airlines, but I suppose you could check with them just to be sure. As far as CFR 61.153, that is a question for the FAA, we are not qualified to answer that.

Chris

1 Like

Minh,

You say you’re looking for an foreign ATP conversion but state you only have an Australian CPL? It therefore wouldn’t be a conversion. As you said the reg states if you have a foreign (verifiable) CPL you’re eligible to obtain an FAA ATP but would still need to pass the written and the ATP CTP. If you’re interested in flying for a Regional you do not need an ATP, just be able to obtain one which you are. Personally I’d save the money and time and contact a few Regionals of your choice as I’m reasonably certain they’d grab you, put you through their own ATP-CTP course and have you flying quickly. Make some calls before you sign up for any course.

Adam