Intro flight scheduled

My Sallie Mae student loan application was approved, and I have my intro flight scheduled for tomorrow in Leesburg, VA. Im a little nervous, but very excited. Ill let you all know how the flight goes.

Andy,

There is absolutely nothing for you to be nervous about. Please, please, please, I beg you, do not make this into a bigger deal than this is! This is an INTRODUCTORY flight. The ONLY purpose of this flight is to introduce you to your office for the next couple of years. I don’t care what or how much you’ve read, what videos you’ve watched or how many hours you have on MSFS. You’re not a pilot and no one expects you to know anything or to be able to perform any maneuvers with any semblance of proficiency. Know why? BECAUSE YOU’RE NOT A PILOT! Yet…

Relax, listen to the instructor, follow their instructions and ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE! Look out the window, ask questions (or don’t) but relax. Far too many people think of these flights as the single determining factor in becoming an airline pilot. This is literally Step 1 of 8,372 in the process. We get so many posts that say “OMG!?! I’ve spent my entire life dreaming of being a pilot and I just finished my intro flight and it dust go well!?! I couldn’t taxi straight, couldn’t hold an altitude,I didn’t understand what all the dials and switches were! I’ll never fly a 787 for United Waaaaaaaaaaa!”. They put so much pressure on this one flight they get frustrated, nervous, anxious, and often air sick. Frankly when I read posts like that I’m actually offended. While flying airplanes isn’t brain surgery it does require some intelligence, some skill and LOTS OF TRAINING! For someone to think they can just walk up to to an airplane, kick the tires and light the fires and fly off into the sunset like a pro is just plain arrogant.

Andy your homework for today (and tomorrow) is to RELAX, enjoy, have fun and be excited! While this is a great 1st step and should be an awesome experience, it’s not a pivotal moment in your career upon which rests your future in aviation. Make sense? Cool!

Adam

1 Like

Andy,

That is great, please let us know how it goes! Remember that this is simply an introductory flight, do not expect yourself to perform to a certain level, make the landing, etc. It is really just a time for you to get a feel for flying an airplane and to check out the school.

Please let us know what you think.

Chris

Just got done with the intro flight. My instructor was very cool and easy to work with. He allowed me to take the controls for most of the flight. Overall I had a great experience, and Im definitely looking forward to training with ATP.

1 Like

Andy,

Glad to hear that your intro flight went so well! We’re here for you every step of the way. Let us know how we can help.

Tory

Andy,

I am glad it went well. Any idea on a start date yet?

Chris

Not 100% sure yet. I still need to get my medical certificate. I also have a mortgage so I have a few things to figure out first. Im hoping to start in the next 3 months or so.

Andy,

Okay, keep us in the loop, please.

Chris

Congrats Andy! Glad it went well.

Let us know your progress.

Adam

Just wanted to update everyone. I will be starting ATP flight school (from zero time) in Jacksonville, FL. Start date is January 17th. Im really excited to get started. Im gonna use the next 2 months to study.

1 Like

Congrats Andy!

You’ve made a great decision that will help you realize your goal as an airline pilot!

When you say study I hope you mean start working on your written tests? While not required it’s one of the best things you can do to ensure success.

Adam

I will definitely try to knock out the written tests before my start date. Thanks for the advice. My training bundle should arrive in a few days.

Andy,

Great! Just don’t be overwhelmed when the bundle shows up. It’s a whole lotta sh…I mean stuff! :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Andy,

Congratulations on making this decision! Please keep us in the loop as you go through the program and never hesitate to come to us with questions. Now get to studying!

Chris

1 Like

That’s great news, Andy! Just in time to tell the family about your new journey at this year’s holiday gatherings. So happy for you, Andy!

Tory

1 Like

Andy,
Congrats! It’s such an exciting time knowing your dreams are finally becoming a reality. Your box will have an overwhelming amount of texts and tools but just focus on your access to king schools. Enjoy the holidays and knock out the private ground school test prep modules when you can. That will set you up well to ace the PAR before your start date!
-Hannah

1 Like