iPad required apps

Asking here because I can’t seem to get anyone to answer the phones at ATP… (leaving a message for call-back isn’t really an option as I still work full-time up until my start date and only have limited time to talk)

My start date isn’t until Oct 2nd but I’m trying to get all my ducks in a row now.

On the website it says…

Required
You will need to purchase a few apps directly from the iTunes App Store. Please have these downloaded before you arrive for training.”

Keyword in this sentence being “few”… The only software I can find on the website is ForeFlight and the FAR/AIM’s, is there others that I’m just not seeing?

Nick

Nick,

Not sure why you’re having difficulties getting someone on the phone. The
phones have been known to shut down on occasion, but only for a few hours.
You might also be trying to call after hours. If you’re not already aware,
ATP corporate is in Florida. So, maybe it’s the time difference?

Have you made your non refundable $995 deposit? An email is usually sent to
you after that deposit has been made. If you have made your payment and
still haven’t received an email with instructions, try calling again
tomorrow between 8a and 5p eastern.

Tory

Tory,

I called on my lunch break, which is 3pm in FL, three times but only ever got the general voicemail box. shrug

Yes, paid up. Have a start date, student ID #, student login, and my package w/ uniforms & books is supposed to arrive tomorrow, etc.

From the confirmation email…

Hi Nick -
Congratulations, and thank you for joining ATP Flight School. This email confirms your enrollment:
Program: ACPP 40 ME Fast Track
Training Center: ATP Phoenix - Scottsdale
Show Time: Monday, October 2, 2017 at 8:00 AM local time.
Please arrive fully prepared. Please look through this pre-arrival checklist for information pertaining to your first day. A member of the Training Support department will be in touch with you shortly to go over any questions that you have.
We have shipped a box of training materials and you should receive this material within 7-10 days of scheduling. You are expected to spend some time before your training date becoming familiar with the material.
For now, please log on to the Student Extranet and begin to go through the “Intro” study modules for your program. For students without a Private Pilot License it is the “Intro to Private Pilot” and for those with a Private Pilot License, it is the “Intro to Instrument” modules.
Please visit the Phoenix - Scottsdale Training Center web page for address, maps, and local accommodations.
If you need to cancel or reschedule, please contact us as soon as possible at 904-595-7992 or training-support@allatps.com.
We look forward to seeing you.
Sincerely,
ATP Training Support

The quote from my original post is from the Student Checklist webpage. That’s why I’m a little confused.

Nick

Nick,

I wonder if the list is with the training materials that will arrive
tomorrow…I’ll see if I can get my hands on one.

Tory

We’ll find out tomorrow! :wink:

@nsalai,
I might can give you some advice as I just started the program last month… Currently on my iPad I have ForeFlight, AIM and the study buddy (needed for studying my private written).

Now once you are in the program, you will then begin to talk to your instructor or other students about 3rd party apps that may cost, however they may or may not be beneficial to you.

I was once confused about this too when starting so what I did was just installed the apps I listed above, and I haven’t missed a beat yet. :slight_smile: hope that helps.

What kind of Ipad did you all buy? A student that I was talking to bought a 4 but said that I should buy the Mini. Which one will be better?

Thanks for the feedback, Earv.

Nick,

I just spoke with a student this morning and he mentioned the same apps as
Earv did.

Tory

Tory,
Student package came in today. No other mention of specific iPad apps needed, so I’ll stick with the FAR/AIM and ForeFlight for now.

Earv,
The Study Buddy… is that the ‘Sporty’s’ version? Also, which version of ForeFlight did you go with? I’m strongly considering the ProPlus for the logbook and synthetic vision.

Brian,
I went with the iPad Pro 10.5"… it’s pretty big but the bigger screen and new processor are really nice, we’ll see if there’s a clearance issue, I’m not exactly small myself so it should be interesting. Also, I sprung for the Apple Pencil as it makes taking notes on the iPad REALLY handy. I see all of these items as investments in my career so I’m trying to buy things that I feel will aide me in the future as well.

Nick

Nick,

Sorry to hear that. I wouldn’t stress about it. ForeFlight and Sporty’s
Study Buddy are the main ones. They may actually be the only two required
apps to be downloaded on day one nowadays, which is why the website is
vague. ATP recently switched their test prep software from ASA Prepware to
Sheppard Air. No need to worry about downloading Sheppard Air until after
you’ve passed the private pilot written.

Tory

Tory

Thank you for your diligence in this matter. I am not terribly worried/concerned, I just want to make sure I am as well prepared as I can be on my part.

I’ve heard mention several times now that ATP uses the Sheppard Air training software, is that the self-study lessons that I am completing on the student extranet?

Nick

You’re welcome. And no. Sheppard Air is separate from the Self Study
Lessons.

Sorry for the late reply :/. But for foreflight I went with pro only because it comes with departure and arrival procedures (something beneficial when starting instrument)

What is the non-refundable $995 deposit exactly for?

Louis,

The deposit is to start the whole process, lock in a class date, give you access to the online training for the written exams, receive your training books and materials and of course demonstrate you’re serious about doing this.

Adam

1 Like

Louis,

When you pick a start date, the wheels of ATP start moving. You are taking up a spot that some other student might have wanted and engaging the schools resources. As such, the school requires a non-refundable deposit.

Chris

1 Like

Louis

As someone who just registered for class I’d like to think I have pretty up to date experience. I was impressed at how quickly things were handled after the deposit was processed.

-I immediately was given access to the student extranet to begin studying.
-I immediately was registered with ForeFlight for the student discount.
-My student package (books, shirts, backpack, etc) was ordered from PilotMall that day and shipped the following.
-I was contacted by the local training center with 2-3 days.
-At the time that local center contacted me I was provided with the number for corporate to handle the loan funds disbursement.

There is probably more that happened ‘behind the scenes’ that I don’t know about. They make the registration process smooth and stress-free.

Nick

2 Likes

How did you get the student discount right away? Is that available right after? I know ATP will cover the cost of foreflight but only if you get certain written tests out of the way prior to your start date.

Patrick,

Once you put your deposit down and select a start date, Foreflight is available at the discounted rate.

Chris

1 Like

What Chris said. You are confusing two separate things… As a student you get a ForeFlight 20% rate discount, example the Pro subscription is normally $199, but discounted to $160. What you are talking about is ATP will pay for $100 worth of ForeFlight if you pass your writtens early.

1 Like