Manassas, Admissions, and Experience Questions

Hi everyone!

I’m supposed to have an admissions flight on Apr 1 in Manassas, and I’m hoping to get a start date around the end of June, and I have a few questions for anyone here who might be able to lend a little experience:

• If anyone reading went through the Manassas, VA location, what did you think? Does the DCSFRA make flight training super difficult or is it just more good experience?
  • What is the admissions process like? I’ve spent so many hours on the ATP website and I really can’t find a clear answer on how it works. Will I be able to get everything done at the location after my admissions flight and get a class date that day? or will I have to call admissions and do stuff over the phone/internet to set that up?
  • What should I prepare for the admissions flight? I don’t think I’ll quite have my private pilot license by then, but I’ll be close. I should hopefully be done with the private pilot license before the June start date I’m aiming for.
  • ATP’s cost seems unlike other flight schools- most charge by the flight hour, but ATP has a fixed cost. Does that mean everyone comes out of it with exactly the same number of flight hours? or do you just fly whatever you need and the cost is the same anyways?
  • Is there anything else an aspiring ATP student should know a few months in advance?

Apologies for the number of questions, I’m just looking to get everything straight and figured out before I get there in April for my admissions flight. One more for fun- what’s your favorite part of ATP?

Andrew,

I did my training in HEF (albeit quite a few years ago) but here’s a few answers:

1. HEF was a great airport to train at and the airspace is a benefit. Not a hassle at all and the sooner you’re exposed to the airspace restrictions and following the regs the better.

2. Not sure where you’ve been looking, but this link outlines the process pretty well and clearly states you must contact ATP Admin to secure your date, give a deposit etc. Enrollment Steps for Airline Career Pilot Students/ ATP Flight School

3. Other than complete the Admissions Flight Learning Module there’s really nothing else you need to do and by all means don’t stress about. Show up with an open mind, follow the instructors directions and have fun.

4. ATP uses realistic timelines and allotted hours based on over 35yrs of training. The goal is for everyone to successfully complete the training with approx the same number of hours.

5. We always recommend completing as many of the required FAA Knowledge exams as you can prior to starting training. Remember the program is highly accelerated and anything you can do to lighten the load will help.

Adam

Thank you for all the info, that will all be super useful going forward!

I have no idea how I never found that link but I appreciate it.
I’m glad to hear the airspace is interesting too, I was hoping it would be a bonus rather than a drawback.

Once again, thanks for all the help!

Andrew,

I, too did my training at Manassas, the same time that Adam did. I did not think that the airspace was a huge barrier to training. It adds to the experience and in the end I thought it was a positive experience.

Do not prepare for the admissions flight, it is really just a learning experience for both you and ATP to see if you are a good fit for each other. Relax, enjoy the flight and remember that it is not a checkride.

Make sure you tell the admissions department that you do not have your PPL yet as that will affect the admissions process.

Chris

Hi Chris!

Thanks for all the answers, they’re super helpful! I’m looking forward to the admissions flight for sure!

Andrew,

I can’t speak on the Manassas location, but I can provide insight one other questions you have. ATP now has 79 locations, the other day they had 77 and the company is only growing and that revolves around the success of students and instructors… something to think about when looking at ATP versus another school. I would love to say I’m not bias, but all of the Pilot Mentors and “Graduates and Airline Pilot” or “Graduates and Corporate Pilot” tag completed ATP’s program in success.

1. Sometimes we overlook links and webpages, ATP provides a LOT of detail on their website and sometimes I have trouble finding it, unless I have it copied and pasted in a word document for reference (I have cheat sheets for links :wink: ).

2. An Admissions Flight is simply an hour with an instructor, where they will introduce you to what the day-to-day life is like being a student at ATP. You will get a brief overview of how the general systems of the plane work with opportunity to maneuver the plane around in-flight. I’ve always told prospective students; this is your opportunity to get hands on so please let me know if you have questions or want to try something we’ve covered in topic.

3. ATP has gathered decades of data and implement strategies to help ensure their commitment and student/instructors receive the best out there. Below is a screenshot of the allotted time you will receive at completion of ATP’s program. One thing to note is if there is a deficiency or needed of a training improvement plan that the hours may be higher and extra costs incurred are possible. Unless you’re a prodigy of flying, everyone at some points needs a little extra focused training at times.

1. ATP has been increasing not only their fleet in the last few years, but locations. When I started the program in 2020, there were 37 locations. They have expanded over 2x the number and increased the fleet by the tens since then. It isn’t a quick turnover to manufacture planes and the fact they’re always working deals to get the most modern and safest training planes is something to consider.

I don’t think there is just “1 favorite part” of ATP…I think the best part is meeting new lifelong friends and always being around people of the same demeanor is important. I recommend checking out my personal thread Checking In Ground Level! - Student Experiences.

Brady