Medical waiting period

Good afternoon everyone, what is the average time I should expect to wait to be cleared for medical? Is there a board that does a batch of records at once or is it individually completed when received?

Joseph,

Unless there’s a disqualifier in your medical history or you fail one of the tests (vision, hearing, urine, ekg if over 35, reflexes, etc) the AME will give you your medical certificate immediately. If there is something it will be deferred to the FAA and that could take a while depending.

As for checking your history they assume you’re being honest and the FAA won’t start cross checking till after it’s granted. If however you’re less than honest and they find something they can and will pull your medical, your flying certs and fine you.

Adam

Joseph,

If there is no concern or questions regarding your health, the AME will issue you a Medical Certificate on spot, having you sign a copy for yourself and him for records. Depending on the situation and timeframe (this time of year is holidays), it could take some time. The best advice I could say is if you’re inquiring about the medical, try these:

1. Go to the MedXpress website and check the status of your medical for reference;
  2. Call your AME and inquire about your medical status;
  3. Call Oklahoma City yourself and request a status update.

Brady

1 Like

Joseph,

My medical had to be deferred to the FAA. I was told that they were backlogged. The time frame given to me was 1-2 months. That was 3 weeks ago. The AME told me he would be surprised if I had any issues. Anyway, hope this helps.

Ben

1 Like

Copy, I take hydroxychloroquine…. It’s been 3+ months… my specialty docs has sent all the information stating everything is under control and I’m still cleared to fly militarily… this is why it’s confusing to me on the delays.

1 Like

Joseph,

Are you a pilot in the military?

Chris

1 Like

Air battle manager

1 Like

I’m on staff, but I maintain my flight status medically

1 Like

Guys im here on MedXpress filling out an application thats not given me an option to choose Airman medical and studentpilot ,Only the first option .Does this make a difference

1 Like

Antonio,

You no longer get your student pilot certificate from an AME. You simply want your First Class Medical.

Adam

1 Like

Antonio,

You will submit an application for a FAA First Class Medical via MedXpress and then a student pilot certificate on the FAA IACRA website. You will need to visit an AME for your medical, and instructor at your flight school to sign and complete your student pilot certificate.

Brady

1 Like