My flight path dilemma

Hello guys, Im not new here, I have been reading about ATP for a while, well I am pursuing a bachelors in Aircraft Operation, and I am doing a part 91 program in the flight school in New York, but to be honest I found prt 91 not worth it because how long it takes to finish it, I have been stuck doing my ppl since July 26, 2019. I have only 63 flight hours in this long time of flying due to cancellations because of the weather(new york weather sucks), and the school Im doing the ppl at is really busy and they don’t have that much airplane so they just give me 3-4 days a week and maximum of 2 hours window to train including the preflight, and training itself, and the briefing after flight with the instructor. Oh I forgot to mention, I haven’t soloed yet and this is not because I lack resolve or any skill but its because I lack of consistency because of the school system. So I had enough with them and then my resolve was to join atp in west south or the west ( probably one of Texas locations), but I was shocked when I knew that I cannot join before get those solos requirements first if I wanna finish up my ppl with ATP, so Im so confused now should I just wait and finish my ppl with the current academy and then join ATP or should I just forget and start over with ATP for 0 to Airline Pilot. However I paid already for my course with the current academy I took out loan that covers 70 hours of flight and 50 of ground and Im done with 63 hours of them already so After 70 I have to pay more money. Oh boy I am so sorry for this long story.

Karim,

I’m actually surprised by ATP’s response to having your solos done before beginning a PPL finish up program. I don’t see anything on their website about that being a requirement. In fact, I was under the impression that you could completely customize your PPL finish up if you also enroll in the ACPP in conjunction. I’ll see if I can find a straight answer for you.

Tory

Karim,

ATP does require that certain solo flights be completed prior to accepting you into the private finish up program. We cannot tell you what to do here, but I can say that 63 hours is a lot to have not soloed, really a lot. I would be hard pressed to spend any more money at that particular flight school if those are the results they are helping to deliver.

Chris

1 Like

Karim,

If in fact you’ve been reading this forum for a while then I won’t say we told you so but we did. Your story is unfortunately very common. Your next move is totally your decision but there’s an old expression “don’t spend good money after bad”. You’ve spent over a year and I’m sure way to much money at your current school. If it were me (and it was) I’d cut my losses and start from zero with ATP. It might seem like a waste but you’re going to need the hours anyway to get to the magic 1500 and you’ve already got an extra 63.

Adam

1 Like

I know that some solos required to be able to complete the private finish up, but the problem the inconsistency with this academy (due to the pressure and covid they just allow me to schedule 3 days a week for 2 hours every session including preflight, flight and ground afterwards) which is so inconsistent because most of the time I get cancelled for bad weather for example i got cancelled for tomorrow’s flight because its gusting I know weather isn’t their fault but the longest I been on airplane with them was 1.6 which isn’t enough as you reach a high level of training and need consistency, and i paid till 70 hours and I don’t think I will pay for anymore hours with them, and my guess is most likely I will be starting over with ATP and consider my money and time was just experiment, but my fears is to fail with ATP to be honest Its one of the big things that gives me anxiety is that you may get kicked off.

Thank you for your response, but They told me that it is required to have my solos done in order to apply for the ppl finish up program with ATP unfortunately I don’t see this happening soon, so I guess Im just going to start over.

Karim,

I understand your fear, but if you can’t get through ATP’s program what makes you think you’ll be able to get through airline training? The program is designed the way it is for good reason.

Tory

1 Like

This is what I was thinking about that anyway I need the hours and this probably what I will do, thank you so much

I see you have a good point, But i know I can do it! Thank you so much🙏