New start, July 3rd! My adventure documented

Just one day before my 5 year USA citinzenship anniversary! Yes, I will be atending ATP at Daytona Beach.
Let me tell you that from day one they were great and welcoming! Answered all my questions and even take time to answer a few more after being enrolled.
I took advantage of “get qualified for the loan and your intro flight is on us” deal! So April 1 i will be sharp and dandy to take to the skies!
Meanwhile, got and ipad and started to revise and go through the modules that are prerequisite prior to your start date.
The plan is to tackle the PP, instrument and comercial writtens before starting.
I also got confirmation last night that my materials were shipped, so I look forward to receiving them.
Today March 25th i should mark as the day my journey officially beggins.

6 Likes

Cesar,

Congratulations on taking the next step! It is great that you are going to tackle those writtens early. Let us know any way we can help you and please keep us up to date as you go through the program!

Chris

Congrats Cesar! Keep us posted!

Adam

Thanks guys for the good wishes, by the way,. my friends call me Enrico (middle name) so please, feel free to!
I can’t express how great ATP has been following up with me and even though my start date is quite a long ways, they keep in touch almost weekly!
I got to send my kudos to Paul Marocchi, Training Center manager and assistant chief instructor at Daytona Beach. He already helped me get my student pilot certificate and put me on the right track of things I need to get and know.
Also the team at training support did a great service by calling me yesterday to follow up with my materials arrival and remind me of how to get started on the introductory modules. I was having anxiety attacks looking at all the material and thinking that I need memorize all of it before July 3rd! Silly me!
Well, so far this week between work hours, kids soccer practices and honey dues here and there, I have managed to fully complete four modules so far. I also started studying for the PPL written exam from the Sporty’s website.
for those of you that have gone through this phase already, how did you get organized and study as well completed the intro modules? I would love to hear some tips on how to organize for studying, what kind of studying work best.
I don’t want to create a debate of which method is best or not, but to hear the many ways you can study and maybe get the best alternatives out of each. Specially on how to study for the written for private.
thanks all

Enrico

Hey man,
Awesome to hear that you are signed up and ready to go. As far as studying the modules, I like to watch the video and do further research on parts that I do not fully understand. You will find that some modules and topics are simpler than others. Also, the videos don’t necessarily give you the full idea of a topic. Make sure you do your own research/reading until it makes more sense. Don’t stress too much, because at the end of the day, you are paying ATP to provide 50-60K worth of training. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do your own self-study, but realize that some things will make more sense once you are flying five days a week. I found that out during my PPL training. I studied training material a LOT by myself, but certain things didn’t really “click” until I was flying and meeting with my instructor regularly.

As far as prepping for the writtens, ATP should provide you with access to Sheppard Air’s test prep software. Make sure you follow the study strategy that is included with the program, and I can pretty much guarantee you that you will score high on the exams. I also recommend trying to get them done in close succession, as you will find that information carries over somewhat from test to test.

I start in June out in Phoenix, AZ. Looking forward to the journey!

Hey Jonah!
Thanks for the tips and great to hear you start in June!

I have to admit that I lie if I tell you I am a complete stranger to flying. I used to fly Hang Gliders (on my far away younger years) and I had friends that owned Ultra light airplanes that would take me flying. Most important, I have flown model RC since age 12 so part of the modules really refresh things I have learned throughout the years of building and designing model airplanes.

So far I have completed the intro modules and I will be finishing today the Flying Basics modules. I have no PPL so I will start from zero on training.
About the preparation for the writtens, I think if I understand correctly, if you start fro PPL, you need to pass the PPL written first using the sporty’s pilot web page training, and then ATP will register you on the sheppard air test software.
I might drop them a line asking if this is correct just to make sure.

Introductory flight is scheduled for tomorrow! A friend is letting me borrow her DC Headset. Getting really excited about this! Kids think I’m crazy but my 9 year old seems to enjoy sitting in the couch with our computer headset and gaming headset pretending we are flying. Got love a 9 year old boy imagination!

Enrico

Hi Enrico,

We are very excited to have you here at ATP! You are correct in that you will study from Sporty’s for your Private Pilot written, and then you will contact us here in Training Support to register you for your Sheppard Air test prep. You are welcome to complete your written exams before you begin your flight training with us, and we highly encourage it if you have the time. Have fun on your intro flight tomorrow!

Jess

1 Like

Hi guys!

Intro flight went great! I was really excited and nervous. As I was driving around the south side of DAB I could see the planes taking off and landing, instructors and students going thru preflight checklists and my heart was really pumping!

I got to the training center early as my flight was scheduled for 11 am and my instructor had already precehcked and gone theough the checklist.

The flight was really nice and now I know I have made the right choice by coming to train at ATP. My instructor was very professional and knowledgeable and calm! He took the C172 out of the parking plarafor and on the taxi way he let me guide it to the exit we were suposed to takeoff from.
After doing run up and pre takeoff checklist we waited for clearance. When the time finally came he asked me to taxi to the runway and apply smoothly power and keep the plane centered by looking at the end of the runway! Next thing i know i was told to give it a light pull and we were airborne! How exciting! My first assisted takeoff on a real plane! Please note that my flying experience goes back to hang glidding and some ultralight ride along flying. Unless the flight aime can be counted as well.

we flew for an hour and got to do turns, climbs and decents, got to fly through rough air and feel actual thermals. Overal it was an amazing experience!
Landing came quite quickly. He said that i landed but I really think he did had a hand on the controls!

Finally we talked for little bit more at the office about the flight, materials required and few other things that I had questions on. What a great experience and I can’t wait until July 3rd!!

Picture is me after we landed.

Enrico

4 Likes

Enrico,

I am so glad to hear that the flight went well and that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the update, June 3 will be here before you know it.

Chris

Very cool Enrico!

Get working on those writtens! :slight_smile:

Adam

Thanks Adam and Chris! Yes, July 3rd is not coming down fast enough but it will eventually. Preparation for the writtens are work in progress, so far I have down the FAR, Aerodynamics and Performance parts, still long ways to go. The best advice I was told, how do you eat and elephant … one bite at the time :slight_smile:

Ok, I lied, July 3rd is rushing coming up now! I’ve been studying on my spare times, lunch breaks, kids soccer practices, and weekends full time to get the Private Pilot written done. Yesterday , May 31st, I passed my written PAR! Now, after a short break, it’s time to concentrate on the Instrument written. Time to hit the studying again!

1 Like

Congrats! Great work! Now keep going :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Hi all! Taking a break here after my first week at ATP and still is yet not over! One more day to go with a Sunday 8 am ground class. Got to clarify, my Cfi is going next week on vacation so we need to cover lots of things! Next week I will be with one of the other great Cfi’ the school has! Looking forward to it!

Ok so now that you know that I started, let me tell you it feels like I have been here more than a week. Monday sneaked up on me as I was finishing my last week of work and studying for the IRA and FIA. Monday came and I still had not taken those tests. That Monday was intense as we covered a lot of ground as to welcoming, badging, sign forms, review policies, etc. next was a brief introduction with my Cfi and of we went for a flight to teach fundamentals. Cool huh?!

Well after finishing the flight, I got endorsed for my tests and took them that same night, passed both and went home at around 9pm to get ready for Tuesday July 4th 2nd flight of fundamentals. Quite intense.
The good news is I am getting he hang of it and while I take a few minutes breather from studying ( yes, Saturday, lots to do!) I type his lines.

Ok did I mention I am 42 (actually will be 43 Monday)? Why do I mention it? Well because many are asking if it is too old. Let me tell you, it is not and you only need to maintain your goals in sight. Study, study and study, that is the only way to stay ahead and be successful. Also don’t be shy to use the resources!
So far my aquiles foot has been the communications , but I am getting better at it. Yes so far only 4 flights, but I see how the hours start racking up.

Ok, enough of a break! Back to study and preparing for Monday!
You?

Enrico

1 Like

Enrico,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, please continue to update us!

Chris

1 Like

Great to hear Enrico! Keep it up!

Adam

1 Like

Hi Guys! Enrico checking in! I havent updated in a while but too much has happened in between. First of all, I’m officially a Private pilot as off 10/13/17! Yeyy!!! For those that are wondering, yes it was tough and long studying. You are not used to all the terms and terminology so is not like you can “wing it” lol so lots of studying!
Now Im working on my Instrument rating and got scheduled the check ride for December 6. It is roght around the corner.
Since I figure it would come quickly, I took today the commercial written just to get it out of the way.
Passed with 92, i know I missed a couple because of lack on knowledge or memorization but a few ones were for not paying attention and too much memorization. Bummer.
Anyhow, now back to studying instrument stuff. Cant believe how fast hours are accumulating it to say it is already going into the 5th month since I started the program!
We’ll see what comes next. Thanksgiving has been postponed to studying, except for dinner, that I wont miss! Lol.
Happy thanksgiving to all!
Enrico

Hey Enrico!

Thanks for the update. Your experience is a good illustration of the kind
of dedication that is required to be successful in the ACPP. My favorite
part is the fact that it has been a month since you passed your PPL and you
haven’t had time to share because you’ve been studying! I love it.

Tory

1 Like

Nice job Enrico! Keep up the good work!

Adam

1 Like

Congratulations and thanks for the update!

1 Like