Parents Worried about me becoming a pilot

Hey guys, I want to be a airline pilot, but my parents think that the job is really unsafe and I will not get a job after flight school. Can you please give me some ideas to convince my parents thanks.

Divine,

As we’ve said in the past, you really need to reference the FAQ section where we address the question of getting hired.

As for flying being said I encourage you to show them some statistics. The reality is there’s no safer mode of transportation in the world.

Adam

Divine,

I would invite your parents to look at, or to join this website.

Chris

Hi!
I am not a pilot. I won’t give you super information on that part. I am sure plenty of pilots here can guide you on that.

We are gonna discuss opportunity. When I was 21 being a pilot was the most important thing in the world to me. I was all signed up with a flight school in Florida. Here is where it goes sideways. I listened to my parents. They said it was too dangerous. The prospect of a job was bad. The same stuff your getting. Here is how this works. Go for it. I listened to my parents and regret it everyday. You can get killed by a bus. Killer bees. Attack hamsters and wayward bunny rabbits. These all can make you dead just like an airplane crash. Dead is dead. No matter the cause. Do not listen to them. If this is a dream, follow it. Trust me. You will regret it later. I am 52 years old. This was one of the top 3 mistakes I have ever made. I am a parent. I have 3 kids. I have backed their dreams no matter what. They turned out just fine. I regret that decision every freaking day. I kid you not. I look at an airplane in the sky and it reminds me of that one poor decision not to fly. Follow your heart. Parents always mean well and are always concerned. They love you very much. They totally mean well. Please don’t make the same mistake.

1 Like

My parents were the same way. But after years of me explaining and them now seeing the real, tangible growth and opportunity they are understanding the pilot job market.
Also, with any career or education pursuit choice there will be risk and uncertainty. But with high risk tends to come high reward. Not to mention the only high risk is you failing a medical or busting a checkride. Seems like the jobs are there for now.

I had two CFIs in my indoctrination class that were in their 50s. It’s a long shot, but you only live once. Don’t regret not following your dream at 65…

2 Likes

I’ll be 47 when I become a newly minted CFI later this year. Which of course is far younger than 50… :sunglasses: