Personal Image and The Airlines

Best day to all reading this post/question. I’m interested in pursuing my commercial ratings and license and I’ve asked this question to Pilots on the job, tried contacting airline HR departments directly and still I haven’t come to an answer that is from personal experience or from a hiring manager. Here it is: Can a pilot get hired on to a major carrier with a neck tattoo? I know of Pilots with tattoos on their arms that can easily be covered with long sleeve shirts. Again I ask: Does anyone know of an airline that would hire or of a Pilot with visible tattoos that is working for a major carrier? Thanks in advance for any help provided. Safe travels to all…

Edward,

Not sure why you’re having issues finding answers as this is a very simple, clear cut and easy question. The answer is no, ALL Major airlines (and all the Regionals I know) do not permit visible tattoos. It’s actually in my manual.

Adam

Edward,

You will not be able to work at an airline with any visible tattoos. I would plan on having them removed prior to beginning your flight training.

Chris

Out of curiosity (I don’t have any tattoos) would he be able to wear a turtle neck/longer collared undershirt under his uniform shirt? Or would that be too much of an alteration to the uniform?

Laura,

No. The uniform standards are rather strict at the airlines. Everybody wears the same shirts.

Thanks Chris!

Thanks for the info everyone. I’ve started the tattoo removal process. The skies await.

While this sounded like the physical appearances, what about lifestyles? I’m pretty sure that most airlines would not or will not hire anyone with a bad lifestyle.

Bad lifestyle… define “bad”

Edward,

I am not really sure what you mean by a “bad lifestyle”. I would need you to further define this before being able to answer the question.

Chris

Edward,

Not sure if this is what you’re referring to? I have a friend who had been at a Regional for decades. Clean record, degree, check pilot, model worker. In his off time he plays in a metal band and has full body ink. Totally his business but he had all his social media in his full real name which featured many pics of him shirtless and almost always with a beer or drink in hand. The guy could not get an interview. Many of us pleaded with him to simply change the name on his social media accts to his nickname. When he finally did he had a interview a month later and is currently flying for one of the Big 3. Coincidence? I think not.

Now is that right? Can’t say it is but that’s the reality.

Adam

I think I was referring to good moral character, per FAR Part 61.153©

Take a look at this link:

2 Likes