Pilot lifestyle

What is it like to be a pilot and flying an airplane?

Jackson,

Please visit our FAQ section as it covers many commonly asked questions. As for “what’s it like?” the experience is different for all. I love it and can’t imagine doing anything else. For others it’s just a job and there’s every answer in between. The question is really too broad to answer. Again I recommend you visit the FAQs and read some other posts on the subject.

Adam

1 Like

Jackson,

I would also recommend checking out the “Flying the Line” section as there are several day in the life type stories there that will give you a great idea of what the job is all about.

Chris

Jackson,

Can you be more specific? Pilots are people just like you. The difference, I think, is in the type of flying the pilot is conducting.

Tory

Ok, I mean what is it like being away from your family and how do you do it

Jackson,

Being away from family can be tough. Particularly when you’re new and have little control over your schedule. I missed many sports events, birthday parties and holidays. The positive is when you’re off your off. Pilots don’t bring their work home with them. When you park The plane you’re done and you often get multiple days off in a row to catch up and spend quality time at home. It def is a compromise but it’s part of the job.

Adam

2 Likes

Jackson,

Being away from family certainly has its challenges. That being said, I feel that in ways this job actually allows more time with family. I generally have about 15 days off per month. Which are true days off. No take home work, no conference calls, etc. I feel like I am able to attend far more family events than I would be if I had a more traditional job.

Take a look at our schedules section, it will give you a very good idea of what our monthly schedules are like.

Chris

1 Like

Ah yes. This is a question that I’ve contemplated ever since I decided to become a pilot. I don’t have a family, yet, so I haven’t missed too many major events besides the holidays. Even though I worked over the holidays, I still celebrated them when I could.

As Chris and Adam mentioned, I do know that someday I will miss important events like birthdays and sporting events. The positive side to this is that this doesn’t seem to be a problem if you have a family that is supportive of your career. It doesn’t negate the fact that you may feel bad about missing family events, but it helps to know that you are still loved and welcomed when you come home. And as Chris said, when you’re home you’re home which does give you more quality time with the family.

Tory

1 Like