Questionnaire

I am 31yrs old and always wanted to become an pilot but sports took over and once I was done getting my associates degree I had regular jobs never really went through with my degree field… Becoming a pilot is heavy on my mind an want to take the leap on trying to become one I have 3 kids 2 boys and a daughter who is blind and want the best for them… I wanted to know is it to late to become a pilot?

Demarius,

I’m not sure where this myth or urban legend that 30-something was too old to fly. It’s not, not even close. In fact the average age for most pilots to start flight training is 33 so you’re actually younger than many.

I recommend you visit our FAQ section and the ATP website for more information on getting started.

Oh and yes it’s true and not hype. You can start from zero and become an airline pilot in just 2-2.5yrs!

Adam

Demarius,

I know many people that have changed careers into aviation when past the age of thirty. Now to be clear, the airline industry runs on the seniority system, so the odds are yo will never be a 777 Captain flying to Hong Kong, but yo could still have a great career ahead of you. Check out our FAQ section as there is a detailed post there that deals with age and the airlines.

Chris

I’m going to respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague Chris on this one. If you start now and do well (particularly with all the movement in the industry), you could very well be a widebody Capt flying worldwide.

Chris is just a pessimist :wink:

Adam

Thank you all for the great advice…. So what are the chances of me getting approved for a student loan to start taking classes to become and pilot?

Demarius,

How’s your credit?

That’s actually a question for the finance dept. What you need to understand is these loans are unsecured so your credit needs to be strong or you’ll probably need a cosigner.

You’re best bet is to call ATP admin and have a conversation.

Adam

A post was split to a new topic: Getting hired at Hawaiian

Demarius,

Absolutely not too late. My only concern for you, how is your home life? Do you have the support of your spouse/extended family?

The road to becoming an airline pilot is tough. Flight training at ATP is extremely accelerated. It will take all of your time and energy for 7 months. If you’re doing well, staying ahead you may have a weekend or two off here and then to spend with your family.

Then building time is a different kind of difficult. You’ll be working long hours and not making a whole lot of money. You’re getting closer but still have another 12-18 months building your hours.

Once you make it to a regional, you’re wearing that uniform and feeling like you finally made it. However, being a junior FO you’re on reserve and flying holidays and weekends when you become a line holder.

I don’t say this to deter you from the career. It is the best job in the world but it comes with a ton of sacrifice, especially in the beginning. Having realistic expectations and the support of your family is critical.

Hannah

2 Likes

Demarius,

Fun fact, you’re younger than the national average age of student pilots! The good news for you is you can have a healthy career in the airlines, but every day you wait to take the leap, is a day/week/month/year/decade of seniority you could be losing.

This is a question that only a financing lender can determine and guide you in the right direction. There are many factors here that we can’t tell you whether you’re going to be approved or not. I wish I could predict the winning lottery numbers, but the chances of that are one in I rarely play, so I don’t know. If you are approved for the loan, right now interest rates are high; however, you can refinance later and get a lower rate and term update. Once I was hired at a regional airline, I waited a few months until I had a nice W-2 to send in for proof of income, lowered my interest rate and updated my term length.

Brady

I have somewhat support not a tone and have a daughter that’s 100% blind so I truly understand where you coming from and begin away from them will be a lot

Ok I just always thought pilots started earlier than my age but that gives me some comfort and I am currently looking for somewhere where I can pay out of pocket because finical aid is not an option right now for

Demarius,

Do you have a spouse or family that will help with your kids while you’re in training and while you’re gone flying at the regionals? Also financially, do you have enough put away to not only pay for the program but have a stipend for living expenses while you’re in the program as you will not be able to work during the 7 months.

Hannah