School question

So ive been looking into becoming a pilot and will be getting my associates in December of this year. Im not sure if i should enter pilot school right after and seek a position at regional airline and work my way up to a delta or southwest. Or should i get my bachelors and seek position in a bigger airline?

Eron,

Take a look at the FAQ section as many of your questions are answered there.

The short answer though is that you will not be going straight to a major airline, degree or no degree.

Chris

Don’t plan on getting hired by a major unless you either worked your way up through the regional airlines or are separating from the military as an aviator. I’m assuming you aren’t a military aviator so you should plan on starting at a regional after you meet the minimum hiring requirements. When it’s time for you to move on from the regionals, your bachelors degree will assist in getting your resume reviewed.

Eron,

Bigger than Delta? Delta Airlines is one of the biggest airlines in the World and you’d be lucky to fly for SWA. As Chris said recommend you visit the FAQ section and get a better idea of the process. Regardless, you could have a PHD in Aviation Science with double Masters, if you want to work for ANY Major in the world you will have to fly for a Regional first.

Adam

Hi Adam,

I graduated 18 years ago from Parks College, Saint Louis University. I have a bs of Science in Aviation. I flew more than 70 hrs. I have lost my log book. My question is will I still be able to qualify for the 1000 hrs only prerequisite for the regionals.

Sam,

Not unless you’re going for some other new additional degree. The reduction in hours is ONLY available if your flight training is done as part of an approved degree program. Simply having an aviation degree does nothing.

Adam