Start date!

I just wanted to update that my start date is July 11th at the Trenton location! I’m extremely excited for this opportunity to begin my career.

I’ll admit, I’m certainly alittle nervous because I want to do well and succeed. I’m ready to put in the work and be the best pilot I can be. It’s certainly a great time to become a pilot and I look forward to beginning this journey!

1 Like

Jon,

Congrats on your start date in July! I look forward to seeing you at Trenton.

Please feel free to reach out at any time for any questions or help.

Brady

1 Like

Thank you Brady! Looking forward to meeting you as well!

1 Like

Congrats Jon!

I view your nerves to be a good thing. I’m my experience its the people who aspire to do well and are slightly concerned about it are the ones that excel. They use their nerves to drive them. It’s the one’s who “know they got this” that are problem :wink:

Adam

2 Likes

Thanks Adam!

That’s a very good point. I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

Jon,

Great news on securing your start date. You have some time, so get started on those written exams! Please continue to update us and always feel free to ask questions!

1 Like

Thanks Chris!

Yes, I want to get as many exams done as possible. Thank you for the link. I’ll keep you updated on how I do with them.

Jon,

Congrats! Getting to this point, setting a start date, is the biggest hurdle. Many people don’t take the leap. You should feel proud that you did. It’s just the start to an incredibly rewarding future doing the best job in the world.

Hannah

2 Likes

Welcome, Jon! Congrats! We here to support you along the way!

Tory

1 Like

Thanks again everyone!

I had a quick question. I’m currently devoting most of my time going through the orientation videos (almost halfway finished). I just received all my books and shirts today. I ordered an iPad but in the meantime I downloaded the sporty app on my iPhone. I haven’t done too much with it yet because ATP told me to finish the videos before doing anything else.

So my question is what’s the best and most efficient way to study for the first exam? Can I take the practice exams on the Sporty app? Should I finish the videos first before diving into Sporty?

I apologize for the long question! I’m just trying to organize myself and use my time efficiently so I’m ready (and ahead with alteast 1 or 2 exams) by July.

Jon,

The best, most efficient way to study for the Private Pilot written exam is to take the practice tests on the Sportys app.

That being said, make sure you follow the outline ATP has laid out for you in regards to the videos.

But for the writtens, just keep taking practice tests and memorize the answers.

Chris

2 Likes

Jon,

Getting those videos done should definitely be your first priority. Admin wants you to have those completed so you’ll be prepared to start on day one. Any written exams you get done after that is just icing on the cake. Plus the material in those videos can give you a bit of background knowledge that will help you on your PAR.

Once those are done, dig in to the Sportys test prep app. Any questions you don’t know the answer to, just memorize.

Hannah

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

Quick update/question. I’m getting close to taking my PAR exam. I’d like to be alittle farther ahead with these exams but I’m being conservative and making sure I get consistently above 90. My hope is to take it soon and atleast get a decent amount of the IFR exam studying finished before July 11th (even if I don’t take it by then).

My question is this: should I start getting ahead by making flash cards for things like V speeds, regs and anything else that flash cards could be helpful for? I might be overthinking thinking it but I wanted to hear from some of you if that’s an effective way to use my time or continue putting all my time into studying for the exams?

I’m also almost done the elevate videos. They are great!

Thank you!

Jon,

I appreciate your zeal, but I think getting the PAR and IRAs done prior will do far more to lighten your workload. There’s plenty of time for flashcards.

Adam

1 Like

Jon,

I agree with Adam here, get a head start on your IRA as well. It will take you a good week and half to study the IRA using the Sheppard Air strategy if you do it daily. I would say that flashcards can wait for a little bit, completed writtens will relieve the workload.

In the back of your Training Supplement for the Piper Archer there are oral review questions, you’ll want to be able to answer those verbatim by the end of the first week as you may see them on your TOL Evaluation flight.

Brady

1 Like

Thank you Adam and Brady.

I was getting alittle ahead of myself, haha. Also, thank you for mentioning the questions in the training supplement. I’ll be sure to really know those by my start date.

As always, thank you so much!

Quick update

I just passed my PAR exam with a 92. It feels great to finish that exam before I begin next week. It took me longer to study for it than I had hoped but I wanted to ensure I was ready. While I won’t get the IFR exam done before, I have been able to get a lot of studying done on Sheppard so far to get me ahead and hopefully stay ahead.

July 11th is approaching and I’m very excited (and alittle nervous) for it!

1 Like

Jon,

Good work. Anything you can do to get ahead is a good thing. You will be starting before you know it!

Chris

1 Like

Jon,

Congrats on the 92% PAR score! Don’t worry about the IRA this close to your start date, start looking over the Oral Review questions in the back of the Training Supplement. The sooner you can learn/memorize those the easier your first few weeks will be.

Brady

1 Like

Thank you Chris!

Thanks Brady, appreciate the advice! Are you still at Trenton for a couple weeks? If so, I look forward to meeting you.