Starting soon?

Hi Pilots,

Got my first class medical today(no limitations), I also took the PAR exam but unfortunately got an 83%. I was getting steady 90’s and above on sporty’s too, I will definitely need to study more on the questions that I missed. Should I keep the score or I should retake the exam? Should I move on and start with IRA with Sheppard air?
I am planning to call to schedule the non-refundable class date tomorrow definitely still nervous.
Thank you,
Brandon

1 Like

83% is a fine score. All you really needed is 70%. I got 85% on my PAR. Just make sure you look up the questions you got wrong and study those before your checkride. Your DPE will absolutely quiz you on those areas.

Definitely, I am also expecting 2 hours on the oral portion

Thank you

Brandon,

I respectfully disagree with the above statement “83 is a fine score”. While it’s passing its far from where you want to be as the FAA Knowledge exams are by far the easiest part of flight training.

I wouldn’t retake but I WOULD expect a harder than necessary oral. Yes move on to the IRA and FIA but moving forward you should try and up your game.

Adam

Hi Adam,
Understood, definitely going to study harder on the questions I got wrong.

1 Like

Adam,
It’s a good score considering there is no Sheppard Air for the PAR exam. Sporty’s doesn’t have the entire question and answer bank that lets you memorize it. If you’ve hardly or never flown at all, knowing all that info is very difficult. The exam probably should be taken much closer to your checkride if you expect to get a good score from just knowing the subject matter and not rote memorization.

Brandon,
Be happy you passed and good luck with the rest of your training.

Brandon,

An 83% is a ‘good’ score that should be backed up with some decent studying for the knowledge elements missed. Yes, it’s a pass - and I’ll admit, I scored a 78% on my PAR, my oral was not a breeze and I needed to study more… For your IRA & FII and exams, thereafter, make sure you’re consecutively scoring in the 90’s range, always shoot for the higher score.

How to study your missed knowledge elements? I would recommend finding your ACS for stage of study (in your case, the PAR). I made your life easy here, this is your ACS:

Use your ACS code on your written exam results (i.e., PA.I.C.K1) which breaks down into:

• Area of Operations - Weather (C)
  • Knowledge - I.C.K1 - Sources of weather data (e.g., National Weather Service, Flight Service) for flight planning purposes.

Be prepared to example where, how and why these are important for your practical test (“checkride”)

Brady

1 Like

True, but there’s Gleim, ASA, King’s, about 800,000 YouTube videos and lest we forget the FAA. A good pilot uses ALL available resources.

Adam

Brady,

That was back when you were a
Peckerhead. You’re mo betta now :grinning:

Adam

You know, I’ve been working on a Tips and Tricks for Checkrides now for almost a year, I’m just too shy to post my tips and tricks. :sweat_smile: Maybe that could win me some more brownie points. :wink:

Brady

3 Likes

I would definitely love some tips and tricks for the private pilot practical checkride when I start, scheduling a start date tomorrow, as well as enrolling for sheppard air for instrument.
Thank you pilots!
Brandon

Brandon,

I wouldn’t retake it but make sure you prep for your Oral with a fine tooth comb. Going through the ACS subject by subject like Brady suggested is a fantastic study technique. Moving forward, I hope you are utilizing rote memory because the Sheppard Air method relies on it. If you follow the protocol, your IRA score should be much better.

Hannah

Paul,

Of course if you try to actually learn the material with no context and limited resources you wouldn’t do well. When you’re in the program paired with an instructor, with access to all the instructional webinars, modules and application opportunities in the airplane thats when you’re expected to learn the material. Right now, you’re just checking a box utilizing the most effective technique to do so: rote memorization.

Hannah

1 Like

Scheduled class date at 09/25! Enrolled in IRA for sheppard air as well. I call admissions, they said to complete the modules for orientation first then the writtens ! I have been on this forum for a while, now its finally time to make the step. Thank you for the help from pilots and mentors here!

Brandon

2 Likes

Brandon,

Congrats on your enrollment date! I think you have plenty of time to complete the ATP Orientation stuff as well as writtens by September 25. That is practically 3 months away, on the dot. If you feel overwhelmed by the ATP Orientation videos, set yourself a goal to get done, I think there’s 50-60? So if you aim to do 7-8 a day with quality viewing, you could complete them in about a week.

Brady

2 Likes

Am I able to take an Admission Flight before securing financing? On the website I thought it said that I needed to complete financing application first.

Ricardo,

You may take your Admissions Flight whenever; however, it does have an expiration date if you decide down the road to attend ATP for your flight training needs. I believe the Admissions Flight is good for 12 months (1 year). Some will take a few Admissions (“Introductory”) Flight before they actually figure out which flight school they’re going to (highly recommend this, especially if you’re unsure about where or what you want to do). The speculation I have is that ATP has the Admissions Flight on STEP 3 because you will want to figure out your financing before you apply, better to start that process sooner than later; and for some, this can be months of back-and-forth conversating with lenders because of credit history, debt, etc.

You’re always welcome to give Admissions a call and inquire, and I recommend you do. :slight_smile:

Brady

1 Like

Thank you for the quick answer. I plan on calling admissions soon. Getting my list of questions together.

Quick update: its been 2 weeks after I scheduled my class date, finished orientation videos in 6 days, then went on to study for IRA. I got a 97% for my IRA!
Unfortunately can’t take FII the same time, but scheduled that on Friday.

Brandon

1 Like

Another question, do you guys recommend getting the FII for sheppard air?

Thank you,
Brandon