Straight to ATP rating at ATP?

Hello. I am commercial SEL, MEL and instrument rated. I’m coming up on 1,500 hours. It seems like all of the reading I do on here relates to a progression from PPL to ATP. It also seems very clear that the track of PPL through ATP rating through ATP makes the most sense for those that are new to flying and have decided that they want to make a career out of flying (efficient and strong procedure orientation). For us older people (I’m 50) who are eligible for ATP rating and interested in pursuing a second career with the regionals and possibly majors (if lucky) , is ATP a good place to go to for the ATP rating or would one be missing so much of the ATP philosophy by not being ATP trained for PPL, instrument, commercial , etc that going direct to the ATP rating through ATP wouldn’t make as much sense? Thanks in advance - you guys provide amazingly good info on this site!

Hello again, Todd!

Actually if your plan is to fly for the airlines then whatever regional airline you can get a job with will pay for you to attend ATP-CTP training.

Tory

Hobie,

There are numerous companies that provide ATP-CTP training, but like I said, the regionals will pay for the training.

From my understanding every company that provides ATP-CTP training follows the same, or very similar, syllabus since it’s an FAA mandated course. From the conversations that I’ve had with airline pilots it seems like the training will either be in a B737 or an A320 sim, but the ground school is essentially the same.

Tory

Todd,

The ATP CTP program is a stand alone program, one does not need to have gone through ATP to go through that program. In fact, ATP teaches many students who are not native ATP pilots as they handle the ATP CTP training for several regional airlines.

Chris

Thank you, Tory! Just when I thought I had three dots connected…. I thought I was on my own for ATP-CTP and that the type rating / practical test would be paid by 5th employer. Great to know!

1 Like

Thank you, Chris!

Todd,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris