The little things to get an edge

Hi, All.

Sorry in advance for another longwinded post. This forum has become something of an outlet for me to work through the myriad thoughts that are swirling around in my head as I process the enormous life decision I’ve made to switch careers and start ATP this summer. I am so grateful for the insight that is offered here. I’ve already learned so much and I haven’t even started the program!

Ok, so as I prepare to embark on this new career, I’m wondering what “little things” I should keep in mind to try to make sure I’m the best candidate possible when the time comes to interview.

I’ve seen random tips pop-up in various posts, but I’ve never seen a single post that compiled this insight.

Obviously the BIG thing is to become the best pilot possible - study hard, avoid failing checkrides, etc. - but what might be some of the less obvious stuff that can give an edge down the road? What are some of the smaller mistakes I might make if I’m not thoughtful? What are some things you would do a little differently if you could start over again?

For example, Hannah mentioned in a post recently how important it is to show up to an interview with a really polished logbook. (By “polished” here I mean neatly written, uniform, looking like the records of a meticulous professional). That makes perfect sense, but I had just never considered how (of course) airlines would scrutinize your logbook and how it could reflect on you as a candidate. Obviously a sloppy logbook would not be a good look. How helpful to have considered this before I’ve logged 1,000+ flights!

When I think back on my teaching career there are so many little things I would encourage a brand new teacher to do/do differently, but I had no idea what those things were when I started. I can only imagine how many of those tips exist in the pilot world.

Thanks for sharing any ideas!

Noah there are many and people will have tons of advice but in most cases I think people over think this (especially at this stage). The “BIG thing”, becoming the best pilot you can, by far trumps everything else. Airlines want experienced pilots who’ll successfully complete training. I don’t care how many Letters of Rec you have or cool extracurricular items you have, the fact you were an Eagle Scout won’t negate your 3 checkride busts. You can think about padding your resume along the way but right now you need to be focused on doing well in training. I’ve been on hiring panels and it’s nice to see you’ve got your black belt in tae kwon do but honestly I looked for 4 things. Min or no busts, Letters of Recommendation from former instructors and others you’ve worked with, a clean record (criminal, driving) and a pleasant disposition. Have that and you’ll do fine.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks, Adam. That all makes sense.

It’s funny because I actually do have a brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, but I guess I won’t try to lean on that in my interviews. :wink:

1 Like

Noah,

Adam summed it up perfectly. Just to expand on “becoming the best pilot you can,” this can not be understated. Since it is the most important thing any pilot can do, it’s important that we at least discuss what that looks like.

I wrote this for incoming ATP students, but the gist of it applies to any student at any school. Hope it helps.
https://airlinepilot.life/t/what-does-an-atp-student-need-to-do-to-be-successful/10421/5

Tory

1 Like

Thanks, Tory. Great read. I can’t wait to get immersed in this.

1 Like