The wait is over

It’s been a while since I promised an update… so here it is.

I can’t wait to fly the friendly skies for UNITED AIRLINES! :airplane:

I started my first day of ATP January 7th, 2019 with the dream of one day getting hired by United. I wasn’t sure how I would get there. Four years later, after a global pandemic, an adventure in to the 135 world and then a crazy 18 months at the regionals taking on new roles and responsibilities, I can say I’ve made it.

My Grandfather was hired in 1961, my Mother in Feb 1978 and my Father in Feb 1985. 62 years of family history with United and it’s pretty surreal I get to extend that legacy to a third generation.

My biggest advice, think about where you want to spend your career. No matter where you are along the journey when faced with a decision on where to go or what job to take ask yourself this, “will this move help me grow as a pilot or a person? Will this be something that will add to my resume so when I’m sitting in that interview room with X dream airline, I have a history that reflects who I am and what I’m about? What do you want it to say about you?”

Here’s a summary of my journey here…

Aug 2011-May 2016 Bachelors Degree, Division I Student-Athlete, University of Miami (2011-2013) University of Iowa (2013-2016)
June 2016-Dec 2018 News Producer, NBC Universal

(Started flying)
Jan 2019-August 2019 ACPP PVT-MEI Ratings
Sept 2019-Oct 2020 ATP CFI & Flight Standards Instructor for CLT location (SkyWest Cadet)
Nov 2020- July 2021 FlyExclusive, ATP Certificate and CJ3 PIC Type Rating
July 2021-Feb 2023 SkyWest Airlines, CRJ Type Rating and Pilot Recruitment Team
(Dec 5th 2022- Interview)
(Dec 9th 2022- CJO)
Feb 2023-United Airlines Class Date

I’ll be headed to class in Denver in just a few days. I’ll share as much as I can through training. Feel free to ask questions as they arise!

-Hannah

23 Likes

Congrats Hannah!

2 Likes

Knew it! Couple of people owe me moola!

Congrats Hannah!

Adam

4 Likes

Congrats Hannah!

Incredible to see how quickly you have progressed to a major, especially when you consider how the pandemic affected your timeline to a regional. You’re hard work and perseverance has paid off! Do you have an idea which aircraft you might be flying at United? I have heard from others during my training that the widebodies, including the 787, are junior for first officers at United (you just might be on reserve for a while!).

Good luck in new hire training!

Roscoe

2 Likes

Awesome news, Hannah. Congratulations!!

This is amazing to read, so excited to learn about your new journey with United!

:large_blue_circle: :white_circle:

Brady

2 Likes

Congrats, Hannah! How exciting! Looking forward to seeing your updates.

2 Likes

I called it as well! Congrats Hannah, maybe I will see you on the flight deck one day when I finally make it to United as well!!

Bill

2 Likes

@RoscoeL We bid the first day of Basic Indoc so I’ll know soon. Each week the bid options are different so it will be a surprise. The class is ranked based on age with the oldest first so at 29 years old I’ll be bidding towards the end. Typically the wide bodies have been what’s left for the most junior in the class. It’s not ideal for gaining seniority quickly and holding a line like a narrow body would be. However, I’m not going to complain about going straight to a wide body. It will be an adventure of a time, either completing the 2 year seat lock or until I’m eligible for a narrow body Capt bid. I’m just happy to be at my forever airline. I have 36 years ahead of me to fly what I want. :slight_smile:

Hannah

6 Likes

First! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thank you so much for sharing. Success stories are needed!

Ayesha

3 Likes

Congrats Hannah! (Sorry for calling you out :rofl:)

2 Likes

Congratulations, Hannah!

2 Likes

Congratulations Hannah :tada::balloon::confetti_ball:

2 Likes

I know I’m late, but I just saw this. Congratulations. That’s awesome you get to continue a family legacy.

Only 4 years from starting flying to United, and only about 2 years at a regional. Thats pretty good. I’ve heard it’s typically 6-12 years.
Would you consider yourself unusually lucky or is the pilot shortage making it quicker for everybody?

1 Like

Caleb,

Thank you, I appreciate it! Considering the Covid lost year, it’s faster than average. However, the timeline is getting shorter by the day it seems. Years ago, 6-8 years was the standard. Now, people are getting pulled from the right seat of regionals. That condensed the time down to 4-5 years.

Hannah

2 Likes

What a fast chain of events any advice on how to keep up with the workload to set yourself up for success?

Cade,

The #1 thing you can do is be aware and remove distractions. The program is very doable and most are successful. It’s the students that don’t “get it” that don’t.

When I went through the program I made very certain EVERYONE knew I was going into orbit during training. Minimal socializing and really anything else that wasnt related to my training. Others were up late watching the games, playing XBox or visiting with friends and some of them didn’t do as well.

Long short you need to make training your #1 priority for 7mos.

Adam

4 Likes

Cade,

Adam is right. Training should be your one and only focus. Don’t think you will keep up with your bowling league, coach the basketball team, volunteer at the school, whatever. Your one and only focus needs to be your training. Now I did end up having a bit of spare time here and there, but it was only after I was 100% certain that I was ready and where I needed to be in my studying.

Chris

3 Likes

@Hannah Congrats and appreciate all you share, it is helping me understand the path to becoming a pilot. Did you make the jump to United from the right seat at SkyWest or were you a Captain? You also mentioned at 29 being towards the end of the seniority list in your class, is most of your class older than you?

Thanks!

@COpilotNick Of course! Glad I can help.

Thats correct, I did not upgrade at SkyWest. Since I flew a CJ3 part 135 all through covid, I had more than 1000 total turbine time but was shy the FAR required 1000 hours part 121 time to upgrade. At least for the last year or two, the minute turbine PIC time hits a pilot’s application, interviews start coming. It’s my loose theory that my part 135 turbine PIC time checked that box so I was able to get the interview without upgrading. However for context, I have a degree, was part of pilot recruitment at SkyWest and am a legacy for United. So all that could have helped as well.

Good news is it’s slowly changing every day. I have heard of a handful of applicants getting interviews in the last few months without 1000 turbine time or any turbine PIC time. Times are definitely changing…

Hannah

2 Likes