Thinking of starting ATP in August but also getting married in May 2020

Hello all! Thank you all for taking the time to read this and thanks to any helpful replies. I have been strongly considering applying for ATP and am looking to start in Charlotte in August. However, as we all know, life happens and I recently proposed to my now fiancé and we are looking at getting married in May 2020.

I am trying to get an idea of the training schedule as far as days and hours during the program. I am sure it depends by class, season, and by instructors and other things. But I am most worried about having the time during the 9 month course to be able to have a weekend off to have a wedding shower in another state or being able to get out of town to visit wedding venues, a Bach party, et. All the things that go along with planning a wedding.

If anyone has been in a similar position or has insight on the programs schedule I would love to hear some feedback or ideas.

Thank you so much!
-Austin

Austin,

ATP will allow you to get all your licenses and ratings in 9mos while most schools take years. That means the training is intense and requires dedication. The occasional weekend off isn’t a problem but that depends on where you are in the program. If you have a checkride scheduled for Monday and the bachelor party is the weekend before that’s an issue.

That said it’s your call. You’re the one investing $80k in a career. Bust a few checkrides and that can and will effect your entire career. It’s about priorities.

Adam

Austin,

If you are going to be caught up in things such as wedding showers (typically only the bride to be attends those) and bachelor’s parties, then I would recommend waiting until after you are married to start the program. Either that or push the wedding date back to allow for more time.

The training that you do at ATP will be some of the most intense you do in your career. You really cannot have any unnecessary distractions while you are in the program.

Chris

Chris, normally I would be on your side about the wedding parties (showers) but we are both from different states across the country but will be getting married and living in Charlotte area. So that’s two weekends we’d be gone to celebrate with friends/family who can’t attend a destination wedding.

Hi Austin,

I’m actually in the same boat–just haven’t posted yet! I am considering starting in July (with the plan of having all my writtens done), with a wedding in October. Aside from one weekend between July 1 and the wedding in October, I’m not planning on really having any other time off.

One of the thoughts I had was timing the start date in coordination with the wedding–i.e. starting a little before 3 months in advance of the wedding so I should be able to wrap up my PPL training section before the wedding (hopefully with some time to spare) and take the time off for the wedding before the next training section begins for the instrument rating.

Chris, Adam, Tory, or any instructors–my specific question is regarding any pushback or unwillingness from the instructor on taking those ~7-10 days off for the wedding (and possibly even rent an aircraft back home to stay in the seat!). I realize the program is very intensive, that it could potentially delay completion a bit (though I would do everything possible to maintain my studies and the schedule to mitigate that), and that ultimately it is my choice. That said, my success can also be dependent on my instructor, and I wouldn’t want to start something that can have detrimental effects on my career prep.

Thank you all for your opinions on all the posts! I appreciate the insight and information through these forums!

Justin

Hi Austin,
From the way the mentors have been describing the intensity of the ATP programs, and having had a wedding before myself, I really wouldn’t let a wedding sit anywhere inside the 9 month period. Let’s face it: you want to get the best out of the demanding ATP program and at the same time you want to give the best attention to a sweet milestone occasion of your lifetime. These two, in my opinion can’t mix.

Chris

Justin,

Your instructor won’t give you a hard time. As long as you coordinate things in advance you should be fine. That said I think you should be honest with yourself. If you’re taking 7-10 days off to get married are you really going to be studying?

Also ATP will not rent you an aircraft (nor will most places for 7-10days) so you’ll have to look elsewhere for that.

Adam

Justin and Austin,

If it were me, I would postpone flight training until after the wedding. Think about it. How would you possibly be able to confidently plan a wedding months in advance when you have no idea where you’ll be during training? Don’t put that burden on yourselves and your partners and everyone else involved. Planning a wedding contingent on your flight training schedule sounds so risky and completely unfair to your partners when you both have the choice to postpone training. Furthermore, you could be in a phase of the program that requires you to be away from your home base. Or you could be preparing for a check ride. If your wedding falls on a span of days that disrupts your training, your progress and possibly even your success in the program will be jeopardized. If that happens, I would bet that your regrets will consume your happiness during a milestone in your life that is supposed to be celebrated.

Lastly, you guys are making two lifelong commitments here: flying and marriage. Both require your full attention and most importantly your presence, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally.

If you really think you can pull both off simultaneously, that’s your decision and I won’t get in your way. I just don’t see the odds in your favor.

Tory

2 Likes

I think Tory hit the nail on the head on this one.

I think our situations are different…

I am getting married after training is over. I plan to start ATP this August and 9 months later would be April when it’s over. Planning to get married after April in either late May or Aug/Sept.

Austin,

Not only are you planning on taking time out for showers and bachelor’s parties, but you are not allowing your self any time for delays in the program. While the company tries very hard to prevent delays, they do happen. I think you are setting yourself up for two very stressful events.

Chris

Austin,

Welp, I can’t tell you what to do. You’re in a labyrinth of what if’s. What if you don’t start in August because the training center is at full capacity? What if you run into delays and you don’t finish on-time? What if the weekend you picked to have your bachelor party is a weekend you need to be flying? In theory, it could work if everything fell into place. Also sounds like it would be very stressful because of how the program would box you in, so to speak.

Tory