Ways to pay for flight school with bad credit

I am 34 years old, and recently on a plane trip to California, I decided that I wanted to become a pilot. I have researched it, and reached out to different flight schools. Unfortunately, I have extremely bad credit, so I am having a hard time to find the financing. I am wondering if there are other ways to achieve this so I can do this. What has been your guys experience. Thanks.
Jon

Jon,

1. find a good co-signer

2. save your money while improving your credit so you can pay for some of the training yourself

3. marry someone with money

4. win the lottery

Adam

2 Likes

Jon,

Unfortunately flight training is incredibly expensive. If you aren’t sitting on loads of cash you really only have two options left: improve your financial health so that you can eventually be approved for a loan (with a cosigner) or pay as you go.

Paying for training as you go is difficult. Typically it turns out more timely and expensive than you ever planned for. If I were you, I’d focus on saving money, improving your credit score and exploring options for cosigners.

Hannah

1 Like

Hi Jon,

Let me take Adam’s normal first question: have you ever flown in a small plane? Have you taken a discovery flight or a flight lesson? The difference between sitting in the back of an Airbus and flying a Cessna it is as different as watching a football game from the stands and being the football…

1 Like

(Sigh)… I’m so proud! :sleepy:

2 Likes

I have never flown. And I do get the analogy. It makes sense. But how will I know if I can’t afford it. Is there an option to like test it, before I commit. You know?

Jon,

The option is to take an introductory flight. You can do this at most local flight schools for a rather reasonable fee. If you are unable to afford the introductory flight, then flying might not be a viable option for you.

Chris

It’s better to save up for a bit and commit $200 now, than to save up for years and commit $100,000 only to find out that you’d rather be a human punching bag for 1500 hours than to fly a small plane for that long…

Jon,

“How will I know if I can’t afford it”…? I am sorry, can you elaborate a little on what you’re trying to ask. You can afford anything if save, budget and spend appropriately. I know $195 may seem far-fetch for some individuals, any family members that you could ask to lend to see if this is something you really believe in doing?

Brady