What kind of job can you get as a commercial pilot who doesn't have a bachelor's degree?

What kind of job can you get as a commercial pilot who doesn’t have a bachelor’s degree?
Thank you.

Megan,

Let’s me clear, a Bachelors is not required for any flying job. That said it is preferred by the Majors and is that’s your goal (which it should be) you’ll want one to make you competitive.

Adam

Hi Adam,
Would an associates degree be sufficient to get a job at a major airline?

Megan,

As I said, the Majors prefer a Bachelors, an Associates is not a Bachelors.

Adam

Megan,

The difference between an Associate’s Degree is 2 years (think of it as a half completed full degree) and a Bachelor’s Degree is 4 years worth of credits. Your major can be in anything you like, recommended to be something you find enjoyable and can see yourself doing if something in aviation falls through.

Brady

Thank you

Megan,

Where are you in the training process? If you haven’t strayed yet, we recommend you get your bachelors degree first. If you’ve already started training you can continue with the plan to finish your degree online while at a regional. Like Adam said, a degree is not a required item. However, it’s inevitable that hiring will slow down and become extremely competitive again. It’s best to set yourself up as well as you can for the time that happens.

Hannah

I have a similar question to Megan’s. I am looking to change careers at 31, I have considered being a commercial pilot for many years and am just now seriously contemplating the move. I do not have a bachelor’s degree. I did however spend 5 years as a Tactical air defense controller in the USMC. After getting out I completed a 7000 hour apprenticeship to become a Journeyman power lineman and haven with that career the last 7 years. from what I have found in research is the bachelors has been the main thing listed for the preferred applicant. In your experience has that been the be all and end all or have there been pilots make it through with different life experiences.

Scott,

Again, a BS/BA is not required but desired and preferred. There’s a question on EVERY Major airline application "Do you have a 4yr degree?"and there are 2 check boxes. One says yes, the other says no. There is no line that says “whatelse ya got?”. Those who check yes go in the preferred pile and those who say no do not. That means they’ll go through the entire preferred pile before they get to the other one. If there are enough open slots you could get a call, if not you won’t.

Short answer is it’s possible BUT if you want to significantly increase your odds of success you’ll do what’s needed to be competitive.

Adam

Scott,

I have seen a few pilots recently get hired without college degrees, but they seemed to have connections or an inside track somehow. While being a controller and lineman is certainly interesting, they are not replacements for a four year degree. If the majors are your goal, I would plan on getting a degree.

Chris

Hannah,
I graduated high school last spring. I have a bit of experience flying as I have taken some lessons with an instructor out of our local airport, but I haven’t soloed yet. My plan was to go on to a college that offers a professional pilot degree, but I was trying to see if there was a quicker way to get my ATP license without having to go to college for four years. However, it seems like the best thing to do is get a bachelors degree.
Thank you for your help

You could do your flight training, build your time, get hired at a Regional and then get your degree online while working for the Regional. Not really the best idea as many have a very hard time going back to school but if you feel you’re up to it it’s a route.

Keep in mind if you’re looking at ATP, with no college or flight experience you might not get accepted into the program.

Adam

Megan,

I have met instructors who continued to work on their degree while instructing, some could do it, some couldn’t. You want to be able to give your students 100% of your available time when it comes time to teaching, if you can’t provide them adequate instruction, detail and time, they may fall behind. You wouldn’t want an instructor giving you 50% of their effort when you’re trying to put in 100%, it doesn’t equalize. It has to be a 100/100 ratio.

Not saying you couldn’t do a few credits online while instructing, but I know some individuals wait until the airline life to complete online classes, it’s a little easier having a set schedule. As Adam mentioned, ATP is competitive, it may make it or break it for attendance at a school like ATP without degree, not saying it is impossible, might be challenging.

Brady

Thank you

Megan,

Please let us know if you have any other questions, that we may help out on.

Brady