Which Written Exams to Take

Hello everyone,

My name is Isaac Lay and I will be starting ATP in July of this year. One thing that I have heard numerous times is to complete my written exams before I attend ATP. I wanted to see which written exams I will need to complete in order to get my ratings from ATP? On top of this, what are some recommended test prep items that could help me prepare? And how long do you recommend studying for the test?

Thanks,
Isaac

1 Like

Welcome Isaac!

For starters, none of the written exams need to be completed before starting the program. It is only highly encouraged.

The full list of written exams are:
PAR
IRA
CAX
FIA
FII
FOI

Optionally, you may also take the AGI and IGI.

I recommend Sporty’s Study Buddy for PAR, and Sheppard Air for the rest.

For more information on how to sign up and study for these exams reference: Get Ahead By Taking FAA Knowledge Tests Before Starting ATP / ATP Flight School

Good luck!

Tory

4 Likes

Isaac,
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your upcoming start date! Since you do have quite a bit of time, knocking out the writtens is a great way to get ahead. Start with the PAR (private pilot written) using king schools online modules. This one is the only one you want to learn the information as you prepare for the test. I believe the modules need to be completed by the time you start day one anyway so you can get two things checked off the to do list in one. For the IRA on you’ll use a program called Sheppard air. It’s the question database. You simply follow their study protocol and will feel prepared to take the exam using most rote memory.
Let us know if you have any other questions! We’re here to help!
-Hannah

1 Like

Steven,

I deleted those links as they had out of date information in them. The tests ypu need to take are listed here: Get Ahead By Taking FAA Knowledge Tests Before Starting ATP / ATP Flight School

Chris

Steven,

Screenshotted right from Chris’s link, recommendation would be to take the IGI at the same time as the IRA & FII as it is the same test bank./

Brady

@Brady Did you do/doing, Gold Seal? Was it something you’d considered beforehand or changed your thoughts on as you progressed through the program?

Steven,

I did not do the IGI when I took both exams and I could step on a Lego for it. I studied for my AGI when I became an instructor at ATP and I dreaded studying for it, but knew I needed to. After I did the AGI I completed my 8710-1 for Ground Instructor so that once I got my 10 signoffs at least 80% I could apply for Gold Seal.

I received my Gold Seal dated, 03/25/2022.

Brady

1 Like