Will a unrelated college degree help with landing a career at an airline?

Hello!

I am 27 years old with a BA degree in History that I unfortunately, have not used. Does simply having a degree help my chances of landing a career at an airline? More specifically, Delta or Southwest?

Thank You in advance!

Jadyn,

Short end of the answer, no they will not care what the degree type is, as long as you have a 4-year (Bachelor’s Degree). When applying to an airline like Delta and Southwest, the application will ask “what is your highest level of education” or simply allow you to submit your education history. Southwest currently uses their own website for the application process, Delta Airlines uses AirlineApps which many other airlines still use. American and United have shifted to their own domain for applications.

Brady

2 Likes

Jadyn,

That degree will absolutely help when applying to the majors. It matters more that you could commit and complete the requirements of the degree than actually what you studied. The only other time you may use it is in time-filling small talk in the light deck. :slight_smile:

Hannah

2 Likes

Thank You Brady and Hannah! This is great to know.

Jadyn,

I have a degree in business administration, I have known pilots mohave degrees in everything from aviation to piano composition. The majors do not care what field study the degree is in, they just want to see a degree.

Chris

Chris,

We could have an intelligent conversation on the behaviors of consumers, especially the ones flying behind the flightdeck door in the cabin. I’d like to begin with the “What made them purchase their ticket today.” :slight_smile:

Brady

Or we could just stick to the regular Boeing v. Airbus debate.

Or somebody could order a Justin a pizza!

You’re all losing your minds!

Adam

1 Like

Orrrrr we could have the Bombardier versus Embraer debate too…

Chicago or New York Style?

Brady

Isn’t it past your bedtime junior?

Adam

@Adam , if it helps restore your confidence in me at all, I am 100% for NY pizza style over Chicago style. And now you can hate me because I’m just saying they may be doing better NY pizza in Hoboken, New Jersey now. And before you remind me, yes, it is past my bed time.

Thank you all for doing the serious work to help everyone navigate the tremendous challenges and life changes required to make this career decision. I appreciate the education you all offer, and the professionalism on this forum.

2 Likes

Justin sir,

1. First it is past your bedtime so you should shushhhh and go to sleep (delirium might be a factor here).

2. As I’m sure you’re aware, no Italians got off the boat and thought “hey, let’s go to Jersey!”. Over time of course there was a huge migration (it’s hard to plant figs and grow grapes in NYC) so some solid, decent pizza being made was inevitable. That said, and as always I say this with the greatest respect, you ain’t from NY and as far as I can tell there ain’t nobody in your family tree that has any vowels at the end of their name so do you really feel qualified to make the call? (I think not).

3. Finally, I sincerely appreciate your kind words. Although when you use the word “professionalism” I’m thinking you’re talking about those other guys :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Isn’t somebody not from New York, New Jersey or Illinois better qualified to make this call?

1 Like

Brady,

Once you become a real pilot, you will learn that all RJs are in the same category.

Chris

1 Like

No, they are not.

Case in point here in Hawaii. When many Hawaiian’s go to NY they say “I don’t get it? Everyone talks about the pizza but it’s just ok”. The reason is in Hawaii they ALL put sugar in their sauce and they miss that sweetness. Doesn’t mean Hawaii pizza is better (trust me it ain’t), they just a used to something different. Capeesh?

And leave The Brady alone! He’s young and foolish but he’s ours! :grinning:

Adam

2 Likes

Cento San Marzano Tomatoes are sweet enough. A little olive oil and salt. No sugar! I’m glad we’ve diverted this group dedicated to helping educate and start airline pilot careers to pizza.

2 Likes

Justin we finally agree. I ONLY use San Marzano tomatoes.

As for the rest good judgement and decision making is an essential pilot skill. I mean if someone can’t even tell the difference between a good or a bad slice should we really trust them in the cockpit?

Adam

2 Likes

Wow I missed a lot on my red eye last night… :joy:

Hannah

1 Like

I am just starting my aviation journey and I was wondering, should I get my 4 year degree before I start my pilot training, or can I get it while I am working at an airline? What should be the chronological order for my education? Thanks!

Hayden,

That really depends on your age. If you just finished (or recently finished) HS you should absolutely continue your education. You’re going to want to and is far easier to do it now.

If however you’re older (say 26+), you might want to earn your degree later. Just keep in mind many people find it VERY challenging to go back to school (even online) and never do which could limit their career progression.

Adam