Wow! SWA drops mins!

Crazy times!

Adam

1 Like

Wow, that is incredible to see. A far cry from the “bring your own type rating” days.

What a time to become a pilot and those that are in regionals (or corporate/charter) looking to go to a major. This is a crazy time in the world.

Brady

I’m sure this will have a ripple effect across other airlines. Good to see opportunities for those who struggled through Covid and got out the other side. Just another lesson, to continue pushing forward, building hours even if the industry is crippled. When things bounce back, you want to be in the best position to seize those opportunities first.

Hannah

1 Like

Adam,

I’m not sure what this means as I am relatively new to learning about piloting. Could you explain it to me? Who does this effect exactly?

Thanks,
Adam

Adam,

Flying for SWA is one of the most sought after pilot positions in this country. In the past to even get an interview, you not only had to EXCEED their minimums considerably, you also needed to get your own 737 Type rating at your own expense (approx $10k) and required dozens of internal recommendations. It was one of the toughest pilot jobs to get.

The fact they’ve lowered their minimums to 500hrs turbine is a very clear indication of how severe the current pilot shortage is. It’s all about supply and demand.

Oh and yes, they still want a 4yr degree.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks for explaining. What does it mean to have 500hrs turbine? Is that 500hrs of flying turbine at any airline? If you get a job at an airline, are you always flying turbine? Sorry for all the questions, but I’m fascinated by this stuff and I want to learn everything I can.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam,

First off no sorry, that’s what we’re here for.

Turbine aircraft are airplanes (or helicopters) powered by turbine engines and that applies to any flying, whether it be airlines, corporate or cargo. And no, not all airline flying is turbine. Good example is Cape Air. They fly piston 402s.

Adam

1 Like

To add here, Southwest almost undoubtedly means 500 hours of fixed wing turbine time, meaning airplanes and not helicopters. Helicopters are super cool, but they are a whole different animal and the experience does not really relate to flying airplanes.

Almost all airliners you ride on, from a 50 seater to a 747 are turbine powered. We commonly use the term “jet”, but that is a hold over from the old days when they had jet engines. Now airliners have turbofan engines, which are not technically “jet” engines, but the term has remained.

Chris