ATP Location!

Being from Virginia, I am partial to Richmond. It is a not-too busy airport, but offers all of the advantages of a large airport. I am not personally familiar with any of the other locations mentioned in this thread.

1 Like

@Chris, HI. I am also from virginia and looking into attending at the Richmond location. Im new to this site and doing a lot of research on ATP, so far it looks like the way to go. I have a question about the CFI part of the program. when I do get to that stage of it, they say they guarantee a job as a CFI but, is it at the location you trained at? or can they force you to transfer to any of the other locations that may be in need of more instructors?
I would like to stay in richmond, going somewhere else to CFI could work but is not ideal since I live 15 mins from KRIC.
thanks!

Patrick,

You will be guaranteed a job at ATP, but not a location. When your time comes up you will be offered a list of available locations that you can chose from. If your desired location is not on the list, you will have to chose from something else or pass on the opportunity. Of course you can always stay in the Richmond area and instruct at another flight school.

Chris

ok thanks chris, thats what I figured was the case. However, I can imagine that if I instruct at another flight school that wont bode well for my chances at the Envoy Cadet Program.

Patrick this falls under priorities and maybe even sacrifice. Are planning on commuting for the rest of your career? If not at some point you will be leaving Richmond.

To participate in the Envoy Cadet Program yes you have to instruct at one of their partner flight schools. As Iā€™m sure youā€™re aware there are many benefits to the program. ā€œNot idealā€ seems like a small price to pay for the opportunity.

Adam

thanks Adam, thats what I thought but just couldnā€™t find the answer anywhere.

Im not saying Iā€™m opposed to commuting, or sacrifice (I am a truck driver and know the sacrifice well.) I know Richmond is not a big airport and no one has a base here so I knew I would either have to move or commute, I am just trying to get a time frame of when. I guess in my head I figured I would be able to do all my ATP training here since they have a training center at KRIC. As I learned more I now know that is not likely going to happen all as I plan. Yes I know the benefits and they certainly do out weigh the inconvenience of a temporary ā€œnot idealā€ situation.
again thanks for your insight and answers!

Patrick,

No oneā€™s saying it wonā€™t happen. Weā€™re only saying itā€™s not guaranteed. The availability of locations literally changes weekly and no one can predict what it will be like when youā€™re ready.

Long/short I wouldnā€™t stress over it. As you get closer to completing your training you can start talking to admin and they might be able to let you know what your chances are. At that point you can start weighing options. Alot can happen between now and then. Envoy might have other options, there may be a better cadet program etc, etc,ā€¦

Adam

very true, thank you for easing my concerns, Adam.