ATP Location!

Decision to go with ATP :heavy_check_mark:
Class 1 Medical :heavy_check_mark:
Financing :soon:

So here comes the stories and experiences, I need help to determine where to choose after finishing my finances, I’ll be honest I’m a little cautious about racism and I’ve been in many interactions where I have been put in the worst shifts and positions by jobs and people asked me if I’m a terrorist :rofl: long story short I’m from Northern Iraq as we call Kurdistan I’m Kurdish, I was a First lieutenant Helicopter pilot in a combined taskforce between Kurdish Government and United states, served as Helicopter pilot since 2013 to end of 2016 in the war agains ISIS, Aviation been one of the three dreams I had in my life and when I accomplished it those 3 years were best years of my life even with the dangerous situation.
Currently I live in KCMO, I was considering Virginia but what do I know :thinking::interrobang: So I hope I can collect some insights about different Locations.
PS/ If you have any questions outside this subject feel free to ask or DM me :blush: always happy to answer your questions, no judgment
Thanks in advance

Dara,

ATP works hard to ensure students get the same level of instruction regardless of location. Racism or discrimination of any kind is not tolerated. That said obviously there are stupid people everywhere and I believe you’re just as likely to run into ignorance in NY as you are in CA or anywhere else across the country.

Choose a location you like for whatever reason you like and trust that if you encounter some foolishness it’s they that will have a problem not you.

Adam

2 Likes

Welcome Dara. Glad to have you join the ATP family. Best of luck in your training…sounds like you will do fantastic.

Trey

1 Like

Ahmed Where did you apply for the loan ?

1 Like

I agree uneducated people are everywhere but in my 3 years in the country learned that some places are more likely to see them than other, As you said they are everywhere and discrimination is not something very obvious nor it’s easy to pin point or even prove, All I want to do my training as peacefully as possible without having to deal with too much of that subject, Also I aspire to become an excellent pilot not just passing, but if someone prejudge me based on my origins and have the power to do so it will be a very uncomfortable 9 months.

I applied with Sallie mae but still waiting on the approval.

Dara,

Again I understand your concern but the reality is this, the program is 9mos. First, even if right at this moment there’s a group of anti-whatever pilots at a certain location, in all likelihood they’ll be gone by the time you’re there.

Second, sure there are certain areas of the country that may be more or less “tolerant” of others but that’s not necessarily where these people are training (ie, I’m a NYer but trained in VA).

Finally these people generally don’t hang a shingle advertising their beliefs so until you’re there you simply won’t know for certain AND as I said any discrimination is not tolerated.

I really think you’re overthinking this at this point AND also need to start possibly looking more long term. ATP while being a large flight school overall is still a relatively small community and again does an excellent job policing bad behavior. The airlines don’t always do as well. While definitely not rampant I can guarantee at some point in your career you will find yourself sitting next to some jerk who will not like you simply because of how you look. It’ll probably come out at 37,000’ when you least expect it. How are you going to respond to that when it happens (and it will)?

Again I appreciate and understand your concern but frankly you have bigger fish to fry and that’s focusing on flight training and as you say being the best pilot you can be. If you go into this looking for problems inevitably you’ll find them.

Adam

2 Likes

Adam I really appreciate your responses as always, I totally agree with you, but I’m a planner and I love to take as many precautions as possible, I guess I’m pilot in every aspect of my life lol, At a point I know I’m not eliminating the possibility to meet a person like that and most likely I’ll face many as I already have and as always I answer with sarcasm and a smile, because whatever their opinion is, it’s not gonna effect who I am, the second part of my question is ATP locations as general and other states as general, As I’m in KCMO it’s boring as hell lol so I wanted to see what others experienced based on different Locations from living aspects of it.
As geographic location I do like Virginia as it’s close to the sea and have a moderate weather, also as being a middle eastern I really like to be able to have access to some of food supplies that I usually use to cook :blush: I rarely eat outside as I’m a Chef as well, and Virginia is a state that many immigrants live in that means more likely I’ll be finding a Mediterranean shops, Also as I haven’t traveled in these 3 years I don’t know how is it in different places so some insight would be wonderful.

Ahmed,

I think you need to be more concerned about flight training and studying that a place being boring, or near the sea, or access to certain kinds of foods. For nine months your focus needs to be solely on flying, nothing else. To me a “boring” location sounds perfect for studying.

As to ignorant people, you will find that anywhere and you are signing up for a job that will take you all over the world. I would not let that be a factor either, ignorance can be found anywhere.

Chris

1 Like

Oh Chris I’m totally okay with boring, I know how busy I’m gonna be, when I say near the sea because I know flying over water is different and being close I’m sure I would experience that, also when I’m thinking about the geographic location is because the more good weather more flights, but when it comes to food I eat healthy and I cook my own meals and that’s probably is the time I take to relax, A healthy mind in in a healthy body, as for the ignorant people I can’t eliminate bumping to them but I believe I can minimize it.
You might think he’s paranoid or something, I’ll tell you why that’s something I have to think about you don’t at least for most part, 2017 got 94 in ASVAB for Airforce got delayed by the recruiter because of that Ignorance, that’s just one example.

Dara,

I have no doubt you’ve had some bad experiences but continuing to carry them forward will not help you in the least.

Here’s a tip I seriously recommend you give some thought to. If/when the time comes for you to interview for an airline I can tell you recounting stories of all the discrimination you’ve encountered will not endear you to any one. While to you it may sound like you’re explaining it comes across as a chip you can’t let go off. Airlines don’t like that.

Adam

1 Like

I meantioned it here because I was curious what I’m gonna face from all aspects (not a chip at all) I know almost all focused only on that but my question was generally and discrimination was part of my question, for sure I’m not gonna talk about it with airlines but I wanted to have some insights without being judged (I guess I was wrong), For the question itself it was more about the general aspect of different Locations from prices, commute, weather, etc. I guess I should’ve make the question in a different way.

Dara,

No one is judging you (although asking for insight, receiving it and then getting defensive is by definition a “chip”). You asked a question and both Chris and I responded it shouldn’t be a concern. You continued to press the issue and I’m just telling you the way it comes across. But for arguement sake let’s go back to your original concern of finding a safe friendly environment to train. Do you really expect anyone to come on this forum and say “Dara stay away from KXYZ airport, there’s actually a KKK Chapter there that holds regular meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays”?

Again there are idiots everywhere and again some places are probably better than others but fortunately that hasn’t been a problem I’ve heard about here ever.

Adam

1 Like

I guess it was wrong of me mentioning it in the first place, I already told you I agree on your view and ignorant people are everywhere :face_with_raised_eyebrow: !!!
First you assumed it’s a chip on my shoulder just because I talked about it and asked then second you think I’m defensive because I replied to your comments lol
Thanks for all your advices

Dara,

Let’s cali a truce and agree to disagree on this one.

Just pick a spot you think you’d like to spend some time and I’m certain you’ll be fine.

Peace out

Adam

1 Like

Adam I already have an excellent impression about you and you seem a genuine guy, truce it’s :wink: and I don’t disagree with your point at all.

I wouldn’t recommend Texas. Mother nature is crazy in the plains and can put you behind very easily. There is also a DPE shortage in certain locations out here. ATPs been making it better by bringing in DPEs from out of town, but the weather can be a big problem. I’ve heard of a few people in the Eastern locations (not Northeast) and the Phoenix area completing the program in 6-9 months. Not sure about KCMO area, but this year has not been good for me to do my flight training in Texas, weather wise.

1 Like

I appreciate your advice, I’m actually thinking about Cali because of weather but still searching for D class airport and really want to avoid C class airports, I want to have the most use of my block time however I’m still waiting for my financing approval, still unclear

I did CFI academy with a guy out of KRIC, I think. It’s a class C and he liked. I think busy airports are good because you have to be on top of your game. I wouldn’t avoid it just because of time to fly out and what not, especially if it’s in a good part of the US, weather wise. I’m in a class D on the edge of a class B, and it’s great for training cause we fly for a couple of min and we’re in the practice area. However, weather sucks here. I’d rather trade 15 min of flight time to get to the practice area away from a class C than have a seemingly perfect airport with the training area just outside but with crappy weather. I feel there’s a give and take for everything.

I’d try not to worry too much about larger airports and consider more about weather and the placement of the ATP location. By placement I mean check out KADS (I’m not actually at that location). Absolutely terrible location for a flight school.

Just my two cents. I express my concern because I started end of January this year and am still trying to complete CFII. Mainly had to do with weather, but DPE issues are second on the list. I don’t mean to sound pushy either, but I have had numerous stretches of not flying for 3-4 weeks at a time. The more you’re able to fly, the better because you’ll be more consistent with your piloting abilities.

1 Like

Long beach really is the perfect class D if you ask me. You’ll get a ton a radio experience but won’t be stuck waiting all the time to taxi (or having to taxi super far) or taking off getting stuck waiting for taking off or landing traffic. I fly out of LGB pretty regularly with a friend and his plane is on the same side of the field as ATP and it’s always quick. The controllers are also able to accommodate pattern work which currently at the neighboring SNA can be denied because it’s work load permitting and they just get too busy. Other than the cost of living in CA everything else is pretty ideal most of the time.

2 Likes