ATP Written Exam

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding the ATP certificate. I am currently sitting at around 270 hours so I estimate I wont be applying to a regional for about a year.

What are the pros and cons of getting ATM written out of the way now vs waiting till I’m at 1500 and doing it during indoc at a regional? I just passed the ground school portion of the ATP-CTP as ATP was trying out an online version and I was part of the test class. So now it’s just $1800 for the sim time, flight and housing not included. Then $85 for the Sheppard Air test prep course and around $200 for the test itself.

Does having the written completed help in hiring/position number before applying to the airlines? On the other hand, does that extra sim time closer to the actual checkride help with systems knowledge and procedures?

Thanks for the continuous support,
Masa Kayano

Masa,

Having the written won’t help you at all. If you’re entertaining possibly going a different route than instructing then the Regionals there’s definitely an advantage but otherwise I don’t really see a point.

Your call.

Adam

Masanori,

I would take a different approach to this than my fine colleague does. I actually see having the ATP written complete as a pretty significant advantage. To begin with, having the written complete means that you are good to go on that aspect as far as the airline is concerned. It means that you will not be studying for the written in addition to trying to learn airline policies and procedures, plus learning all about a jet that you will soon be flying. Having the written complete makes you a more attractive candidate to the airlines as it means they do not have to provide this training to you. Quite frankly, with all things being equal, it is much easier for an airline to hire an applicant that already has the written complete. There are less logistics for the airline to consider and less cost for them to incur.

Bear in mind that the ATP-CTP des not expire and that the ATM results are valid for five years.

Having your ATP-CTP and ATM complete means that you are a more qualified candidate and that will certainly give you an edge in the selection process. This also should hold true for part 135 and part 91 operators.

Chris