Coast to coast

For those that think regional flying is mostly in one region… check this out! This was one of my favorite trips last month where we literally went coast to coast in four short days.

Part of the reason I chose SkyWest was due to their expansive route map. With bases all over the US, and flying for 4 major carriers, I knew the flying would be quite diverse.

UAL CRJ200
10-ORD-GRR-ORD-AVL
11-AVL-ORD-FAR
12-FAR-DEN-EUG-SFO-SBP
13-SBP-DEN-ICT-ORD

Hannah

6 Likes

Wow, that does seem like a lot for one trip. There are some nice overnights in that mix.

Hannah, I hate to be that guy but AVL technically…ahhhh forget it, I’ll let you have it :wink:

Adam

5 Likes

Hey I live in NC. The state touches the Atlantic!! Totally counts! :slight_smile:

Uh huh… we’ll have this conversation again in a few years ok? :slight_smile:

Adam

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I’m considering attending ATP for a career change: Are you receiving four days worth (roughly) of per diem pay for this route? Also, is getting trips like this something that happens regularly? Seems like it would be a great way to rack up flight hours for a month and ultimately have a lightish month outside of this trip.

Kevin,

I will let Hannah answer the question about how she is getting paid for this and the types of trips. I will say that regardless of where the trip goes, or how far it goes, most pilots work 14-18 days per month. I do often work up to nine days in a row and then have a long stretch of days off, but most people do not like to seem working so many days in a row.

Chris

1 Like

Kevin,

This trip was 21 hours of flight time. We got paid for 22 hours of credit and per diem is based off of “Time away from base” which was 74 hours (at $2/hr). Honestly, it was a unique trip for the route but pretty average for flight time and credit for a four day trip.

You can see my whole May schedule in the schedules section. I had 12 days off and flew 77 hours with 90 hours credit.

Hannah

1 Like

Thanks for the responses Hannah and Chris

Hey, Adam, does my 9-day trip count as “coast to coast”?

1 Like

Sergey I see pins and not airports but it looks pretty good. Need for info for a ruling :wink:

Adam

BWI on the East Coast, MRY/SNA/CRQ and many more on the West. FAR was the furthest point north and PBI—furthest south.

Ok I’ll give it to you :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Chris,

How did you manage to have a schedule where you work 9 days in a row and then have a long stretch off? That seems like something I would be interested in - is it with a particular airline? Or is seniority involved? I’m still learning all of these terms so a lot of stuff that’s abbreviated I have no idea what it means or stands for.

Marley

Marley,

I’m sure Chris will chime in but pretty much every kind of schedule you can think of (besides being home every night) is possible with most every airline. The rub is, as with everything at the airlines, it all comes down to seniority. The more seniority you have the better chance you have of getting the schedule you want but that can take a while.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thank you! Also, I read your bio and felt so inspired afterwards! Everyone on here makes this career path seem so exciting while also being realistic.

Marley

Marley,

It can be a bit difficult to get nine days in a row, but with my seniority (about halfway up the Captain list), I can get it. It took me a few years to be Abel to do this and while it looks good on paper, I am usually very ready for it to be over come day nine.

Chris

Hi all,

Obviously you are frequently spending nights away from home. Are you responsible for your own lodging while on a trip? Or will the airline usually provide a hotel?

Thanks,
Mikayla

Mikayla,

Yes the airline covers all your hotels while on a trip. The transportation to and from the airport as well as your hotel room is all covered.

Hannah

Mikayla,

Keep in mind while the airline will privide hotels while you’re on the trip, for pilots that commute that often means getting their own room (or a crashpad) either before or after the trip starts at their own expense.

Adam