Cost of ATP versus the other

Dan,

The WiFi only version of the iPad does not have a built in GPS receiver, and therefore cannot give you real time positioning in flight. The cellular version on the other hand does have the feature installed.
ATP does not require that you have this feature, but it definitely helps a lot, especially during instrument training. I recommend that you get the iPad mini 2 (the new iPad mini 4 does not have enough improvements to justify its higher price in my opinion) with WiFi and cellular. You do not need to purchase a data plan because you will have WiFi access at the training center.

Yarden

Thanks Yarden for clearing that up. I feel like I was given the ring arond regarding that.

No worries.

I personally had the WiFi only version during training, and it got the job done. But later on as an instructor I treated myself to a new iPad with cellular (without a data plan, just the device) and I have to say it made life a lot easier :slight_smile:

Adam,

I know this isn’t aviation related but stopped by the pizza boy on 11th and boardwalk yesterday and man has it gone down hill. It was a terrible experience.

Sorry to hear but I’m aware. The guy who runs it now owns the building and is more concerned with dollars and cents than putting out a good product. What can you do?

Adam

I guess not a lot. You ran it well for sure. Hopefully will be sharing my experience with Trenton ATP in the next week.

I was given the gift of Sporty’s Learn to Fly videos which shows skills and explains tests given for the private pilot exam. Are any of you familiar with this video series and know if they are indeed worth studying? Just really trying to know if they would be a help.

Dan,

While I have to seen that specific Sporty’s course in a long time, I do remember all of their videos being really well produced and a very good introduction to aviation. I would not hesitate to use them as a resource.

Chris

I did get a chance to see ATP Trenton. I got to tour the facility and check out the planes. While I did not get the chance to take the flight that day, I will be going back again to take one December 3. I want to see how ATP does their flights and training first hand. I have taken a few flights over the past few years flying a Cessna 152 and Cessna 172. ATP Trenton was extremely professional and extremely organized. I must say that ATP has been the most professional and organized school I have visited. I do plan to hopefully start between February and April either at Trenton or Richmond. It all depends on how fast I can get the financing worked out and what housing is available. Since I know Adam was interested in my experience with Trenton, yes I did eat at the local pizza shop as well there.

Dan,

Sounds like it went well and you had a good experience (incl the pizza). While I know we’ve all been telling you ATP is the way to go, you really have to go check it out for yourself (at least I did).

Keep us posted.

Adam

Adam I totally agree already. ATP is the way to go. Either Trenton or Richmond is just fine. I think it is probably the best flight education out there. Plus it is priced reasonable and vary quick and efficient. All those partnerships can’t be wrong.

Adam, on my way to getting signed up for ATP Trenton. What was the housing like if you stayed in it while being there?

Dan,

When I instructed in TTN there was no housing so I couldn’t tell you for certain. I did however stay at the housing in HEF, ATL and JAX and all were really nice so I have to believe TTN will comparable. Best to ask the instructors when you get there.

Adam

Wow guys what a rush. Took a flight with ATP today with g34 winds. Never in my life have I seen such hard cross winds flying a Piper Archer. It was a fun experience for sure. New Jersey ATP is the real deal. Really thinking however in using my GI Bill at a college that has agreements with PSA and Piedmont.

Dan,

Glad you had fun! Yes the winds at TTN can get pretty exciting (I once watched a guy sheer the gear off his plane there). But yes ATP IS the real deal. What’s next?

Adam

Probably going to use my GI bill at the college for flight school. While I enjoyed ATP, I wasn’t sure if it was the exact fit for me. The self study may be part of a problem for me. I think ATP is the real deal however. Just probably not the fit I need.

Fair enough. It’s definitely not for everyone. Just keep in mind if/when you get to the airlines, it’s also predominantly self-study sooooo

Adam

I talked to a couple National Guard friends who went to ATP. What the CFI at ATP told me some yesterday wasn’t true exactly. You and Chris told me exactly what the National Guard friends told me. It appears the CFI I had yesterday at Trenton was brand new and didn’t know the exact information. After talking to my friends and them confirming what you and Chris have, I will strongly look at ATP. I was told yesterday the program was more relaxed and it could take up to 8 or 9 months. The CFI said it depends all on the student. My thought was the extra costs. I think it was crazy. It addition, the CFI at ATP yesterday said that being a CFI at ATP has a more relaxed schedule and that the scheduling just depends on the instructor and how much they wanted to instruct. Then again I found this info to be false. I do believe I’ll use my GI bill to finish my regular college. ATP is probably still the way to go after hearing so much different views that agree with yours and Chris. If you know anything different, please advise.

Dan I don’t? I can’t speak for the CFI or what he said but the course curriculum is laid out pretty strictly and the CFIs don’t (nor should they be) modifying the pace. If you can I recommend you speak with another location (no need for another Intro flight) and/or call ATP directly. To be honest I had a similar (not so wonderful) experience years ago when I was researching flight schools. I had heard good things but when I visited ATPs Stuart location the CFIs basically blew me off. Someone I met from another flight school actually convinced me to visit another location and it was a completely different experience. While it doesn’t happen often, there have been CFis who don’t quite follow the rules and that’s unfortunate and needs to be addressed. I’m not saying that’s what happened here (perhaps it was simply a misunderstanding?) but this is a major decision and definitely worth further investigation.

I sensed there was something wrong when you posted yesterday but I don’t like to push. Perhaps you can set up a visit in VA. Either way I really think you should call ATP directly and describe your experience. If this is a case of a bad egg then they should know.

Adam

Yeah made me think bad of ATP since I knew a few guys who attended and had a great experience. And in addition, you and Chris really have a positive experience. I understand some people have bad experiences, but in my opinion, it is likely their own fault or lack of wanting to work for it. I’m really thinking of checking out Richmond. I heard nothing but good from that location. I’m sure Trenton is a good location, just wasn’t too happy with what I was told yesterday. I was thinking the CFI yesterday didn’t know or follow the rules. One thing that got to me was when I asked questions, he would simply look down as if he wasn’t sure or confident. I would be okay with that if he said he didn’t know but would find out. But that simply was not the case. I am wanting to do this and get it done quickly. Hopefully I can get a tour of Richmond soon and basically find it is the way to go.