Custom Programs and ATP CFI Opportunity

Hello Pilot Mentors and ATP Staff,
I just have a quick question regarding completing a custom ACPP with ATP, and any opportunity to CFI with ATP after graduation from the program.

Are custom program students given the same level of consideration for a CFI opportunity with ATP as those who did the standard credit for private or zero time programs?

Assuming the student satisfies all the standard requirements that ATP has for CFI candidates (little to no Checkride failures, professional attitude, dependable and motivated person, etc) are custom students at any disadvantage given that they may not have gone through certain elements of the program such as Crew? Of course, I assume the CFI candidate would need to catch themselves up on what they missed and it would be on them to be familiar with all stages of the program so they could teach it to their students as an ATP CFI. Also assuming this is at a point (fingers crossed post zombie apocalypse) where demand for CFI’s picks up.

Thanks for your consideration.

-Bobby Carr
Incoming Custom Program student at KYIP February 15th
Custom program: CSEL, CMEL, CFI, CFII, and MEI

Bobby,

To be honest I can see arguments on both sides. I suggest you give admin a call and ask them directly.

Adam

1 Like

Bobby,

No, my understanding is that custom program graduates are looked at the same as any other ATP graduate.

I can tell you one thing, if your flying is as professional as your writing is, you will do fine and be well regarded.

Chris

4 Likes

Thank you Chris and Adam, I appreciate your quick feedback!

-Bobby

1 Like

Bobby,
Custom students will not have any disadvantages to getting an instructor position than any other ACPP student. Just be the best student and Pilot you can be and the rest will take care of itself!

-Hannah

1 Like

Thanks Hannah, I appreciate your feedback - that’s my plan for sure! :grin:

Hey there, Bobby! As a Custom Graduate (as of Jan 27th) I sure hope so!
I came in with my PPL/IR just like you back in August.

As far as I know, I believe Custom Graduates are looked at the same. I have a friend who is a Credit-For-Private Graduate who made it through last December and it took hiring a few weeks to reach out with an email about “choosing 3 bases…you are elligible” etc etc.

I haven’t received that yet but like I said it’s only been like 3 days since I made it through so I suspect they are a little bit behind schedule. I’ll keep this thread updated when/if I receive an email about being eligible/ineligible to continue work for ATP. I suspect, however, that all ACPP Graduates (whether that’s Credit for Private, 0 time, or custom grads) are looked at as grads and therefore eligible to instruct (as long as they meet the other criterion listed on ATPs CFI page)

Best of luck Bobby, have fun and trust the program :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate your perspective and offer to continue to update this thread as you progress into a CFI position. I hope you get the call soon!

I’m excited to begin the journey, and am looking forward to starting training with ATP in a couple of weeks! I have been very impressed with the level of organization that ATP has with the program, as well as the vast library of study materials and programming available to students. This was a deciding factor for me in the decision to train with ATP.

Thanks,
Bobby

2 Likes

Same here. People online like to rip ATP for “self study” and “no help” but in reality the array of resources provided to students is vast and I’ve yet to meet an instructor unwilling to sit down with me for a dedicated 1 on 1 ground to clarify confusing topics.

2 Likes

Hi Bobby,

Custom Program students are given the same level of consideration for a position as a CFI once they complete the program, pending they meet the standard requirements like you mentioned.

Addison

1 Like

Thanks Addison, I appreciate your confirmation!

-Bobby

1 Like

Got the email today asking to pick location :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ryan, that’s great to hear!! I am happy that you received an offer quickly! Which locations are you deciding between?

I start at ATP this coming Monday, and couldn’t be more excited!

• Bobby
2 Likes

Congrats Ryan!
That happened pretty quick right? How many weeks since you graduated? Also which locations were you offered? Such an exciting time!

-Hannah

1 Like

Ryan,

That is great news, congratulations! Which location did you pick?

Chris

1 Like

Ryan,

We’re all anxiously waiting to hear all the juicy details. Don’t leave us hangin! :wink:

Congrats! :tada::balloon:

Tory

2 Likes

Ryan,

Super excited to hear where you picked for your locations!

Brady

1 Like

@BobbyC Woohoo! It’s a lot of hard work but it’s a lot of fun too, happy days ahead!
@Hannah Graduated 2 weeks ago. Right now ATP isn’t offering locations, they are having new grads fill out a form to pick 3 locations (one of the options is “Any/First Available”) and you will be notified on status some point soon. They are also offering temp. office work in the mean time in HQ in JAX for those willing to do it just to fill time/earn a little cash.

@Chris @Tory @Brady Wish I could say which spot I got, but all I can say so far is I applied (in order) to “ATL Metro”, “CRG” and “Any/First Available” as my picks. Since hiring is a little behind/working hard to find spots for instructors I hear it’s going to take quite some time to find a slot. In the mean time I am applying everywhere I can that’ll get me hours/help propel my career forwards. I’ll keep y’all posted on my Custom Program thread since I don’t want to hijack Bobby’s :wink:

5 Likes