Height restrictions at ATP

I found out via this forum on an older post ATP has maximum height and weight. Weight isn’t an issue. But I’m 6’6. I’ve flown Cessna 172s comfortably before without issues.

Will ATP deny me on this alone?

Will,

They can and might. You’d have to call Admin for a ruling.

Adam

Will,

You will need to call ATP and ask directly as they have the final say.

Tory

Any clues on how they make the call? And if they say no, are there any commercial schools out there that are not as restrictive

Will,

I’m 6’2 and started in 172s, I fit very comfortably and could still go back further. When I went to ATP I found the Archers are not as forgiving which is why I think they put the height restriction on. ATP also follows a very safety conscious culture so that could be part as well.

I would follow Adam and Tory’s suggestion as they never steered me wrong and see if they will let you take the admissions flight to see how you fit for yourself; that would also let them have the instructor witness if you fit comfortably(might help).

I called up admin on my way home from work, they said it’s a hard no for safety concerns. My height is mainly hip to knees.

For what it’s worth, Flight Safety has no height restrictions when I asked

Sorry to hear that. There are a bunch of schools out there like L3, Flight Safety, American Flyers, etc just depends on your area.

That’s what I’m leaning on. Co-worker (ex Helicopter pilot) said he highly recommended Flight Safety as well so I may go that route (sorry ATP) just a kicker given once you’re in big stuff height is a non issue

Will,

It is a bummer but what you’ll be flying later is not what you will be flying now. Safety is paramount at ATP and after 30+ years they have their reasons.

Adam

Thats a valid point. It’s just kicking me that it’s been a life goal but was graced with some serious height genes

Will,

I wish that this was not the case, but unfortunately it is. We are all faced with adversity at some point. Don’t let this road block stop you from pursuing your dream.

Tory

Will,

There are flight schools out there that have different airplanes or differently configured airplanes, keep digging around and you will find one.

Chris

Flight Safety uses Piper Arrows and Warriors which in my research is just a engine variant of the Archer ATP uses right? Admin was even worried about me in a 172. Most of my height is knee to hip but torso is a little more than average.

I will say, the 172 while a little snug I’ve had yoke get very close to my upper leg when I pull the seat just close enough to have control on rudders

I am sure that FlightSafety’s school is a far superior school to that group at ATP. I am looking at L3 and at Lufthansa training in Arizona they just recently started a program for US based pilots. They had been exclusively for foreign pilots.

Kevin,

Out of curiosity, why do you feel that Flight Safety is a far superior school than ATP? What are you basing that on?

Chris

1 Like

Hey Kevin, isn’t attending two flight schools a bit unusual? I would think that would be the only way you could be “sure” that one was “far superior” to the other. As for me, I researched what I could and made the best choice for me - time will tell.

Ed

Kevin,

Pretty sure you’re a troll but I’ll bite. And you know this how? You’ve trained there? They have higher airline placements? Don’t get me wrong FS is a fantastic school and I’ve often said if I didn’t go to ATP I was leaning towards them but better is a strong word, particularly coming from someone who has no experience training with any school and is leaning towards one a school that just created a new program.

Adam

4 Likes

FIrst of I do not appreciate you condescending words about me being a troll. I would assume that Flight Safety through a long standing tradition of excellence would be a most suitable aviation school. Myself I have never attended that school and would have no first hand knowledge of the sort, however, through my investigations into them I determined that Flight Safety is a substantially high quality school. That being said I am investigation my options for training as it appears that the possibilities are boundless and making informed decisions based on others opinions and experiences. From what I can tell the experiences with ATP is varied but, I have found that there are complications with them, and that they are more about making money then making pilots. I know that I am not the big Mentor pilot that you are but, I know this that you are most disrespectful and do not exhibit anything of a professional. I may be only at this a professional driver with over 2 million miles under my belt which for your information would be the equivalent of being in the cockpit for 45,000 hours, and I would never treat a new recruit with such indignation as you have shown in this post, and if you are an example of professional pilots then I have no desire to follow the likes of you Adam.

1 Like

So Kevin let me get this correct, so you are degrading ATP on what grounds and how did you investigate them. One point to make also is what else are people going to post about ATP because few people read what is actually good about the flight school they are only interested in the “juicy” stuff. And why are you even on Airline pilot life a program FOUNDED by ATP and if you have a thing against ATP, why? Don’t get me wrong i am sure Flight Safety is an excellent flight school but if you think they are so good you are not doing a very good job of advertising for them. A lot of this (at least this part of the conversation) is not at all part of the topic so if you please if you continue this please start another topic and leave this one alone so we can focus on the topic at hand.
Becoming an airline pilot or any type of pilot is an incredible thing and all i’m asking you to not give the wrong impression for beginning pilots. please do not take this in the wrong way, and good luck with the rest of your training.

Sincerly,
G

Hi Gabriel,

These guys know their stuff (Adam) and they are helping out prospect pilots with Q and A. More to the point; There is a concern with your rhetoric, especially considering most people like myself believe 90% of the narrative these current industry airline pilots publish in this forum. Discrediting ATP or them (Adam) who meticulously takes time out of his schedule to give direct, critical knowledge about the current airline hiring process etc etc, literally answering every question, takes away from their insights and selflessness… because that’s what it is, they are helping US with vital knowledge only known from the inside and we are FORTUNATE they allow the public to partake of their knowledge.

Adam hope your reading this because I speak for many prospect airline aviators, I appreciate what you do and keeping transparency in all things.

1 Like