IOE Complete

2 trips and 31 hours down, I’m signed off on the 737! Just a few highlights: I got to fly with my mentor, do the bridge visual at sunset into SFO and had a beautiful 20 hour layover in Cancun. :slight_smile:

Trip 1:
EWR-LAS, LAS-DEN, DH DEN-OMA
OMA-DEN, DEN-CUN
CUN-IAH, IAH-EWR

(JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa)

Trip 2:
DEN-SFO, SFO-DEN
DEN-SNA, SNA-ORD

18 Likes

Cancun looks so fun. :star_struck: Congrats on completing your IOE with United!! :slight_smile:

Brady

3 Likes

Awesome! Congrats.

2 Likes

Congrats Hannah!

I have many fond memories of EWR (yes I’m serious). Just don’t be snobby to the RJ folks now that you’re in the Big Leagues!

Adam

2 Likes

Hannah,

Awesome news, I hope to fly with you soon. Congratulations!

Chris

2 Likes

Hannah,

Congratulations! I hope you are enjoying the 737!

Roscoe

2 Likes

Hannah,

Congratulations on your IOE completion!

I know everyone is different but what was your timeline from flight instructor to United Airlines?

Did you get assigned the 737 or was that an option for you? I ask because I’ve read before on Airline Pilot Central that “New hires can expect all fleets (B737, A320, B756, B787, or B777).” United’s page hasn’t been updated since January 24, 2021 (Hiring).

Congrats,

Paul

Congratulations Hannah!!

2 Likes

Paul,

On the first day of basic indoctrination, pilots bid for their aircraft and base. The 737 was my first choice and luckily I had the seniority in class to hold it. Every class “drop” has different options. For the the most part, there has been about 30 737 bids, 6-8 A320, 10 757/767, 2-3 777 or 787.

As for the timeline, I started ATP in Jan 2019. Feel free to check out the link for more details:

Hannah

4 Likes

Hannah,

Forgive my ignorance but I am curious. Do you make multiple bid’s, sort of like a 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice? What happens if you bid the 777/787 but you do not get it? Do they just assign you to another option?

Are the 30 737 Bid’s scattered at the various United Hubs? Do you choose that too? I imagine the larger aircraft are only at a few Hubs if that’s the case too.

If it’s to complicated to explain I get it :slight_smile:

Either way it is awesome to see your journey to arrive at United after starting ATP in 2019. Thank you for sharing.

Chad,

Yes, you rank your bids in order of what you want. Sure, you can put in that 777 Captained as a new hire, but you better have several, realistic backups options listed as well. The various positions will be spread across the bases that those airplanes fly out of. At United we have 737s in every base, but the larger airplanes are only in certain bases, or have small presences in the bases. CLE is a strictly 737 base for us, as is MCO and LAS.

Chris

1 Like

We used that same hotel in Cancun when I was with Frontier. Nice place. Congrats!

Chad,

The first day bid is very simplistic. There is a board that lists all the available options with aircraft and base, most are tied together unless you have a choice. For example:

737 EWR or IAH

A320 SFO

756/767 ORD

777 EWR

Then there is a school house roll call from the #1 most senior in the class to the most junior. You stand up and proudly yell what you want, “Hannah Hawks, EWR 737 First officer”. As the options dwindle the farther down the seniority list, the smaller your options become.

Make sense?

Hannah

6 Likes

Makes total sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Awesome, love to see myself someday in a pilot uniform as you👍

1 Like