Time Building through LSA

Is it possible to buy a light sport aircraft and built time by flying it? Would be a lot cheaper than renting an aircraft.

Soh,

Sure you can. Now it the good old days I would have cautioned you that when it comes time for your Regional interview and they check your logbook you’d probably have an issue. You see back in the day it wasn’t just quantity of time, it was quality. Buzzing around in the pattern or taking a friend for lunch while still “counts” in your logbook it doesn’t do much for your skills and then would’ve given a recruiter pause. However these are interesting and desperate times we’re living in and if you show up for a Regional interview with 1500hrs in your log the recruiter will gobble you right up! Congrats you just got hired as an airline pilot!

Only one little problem. As I said buzzing around in your LSA won’t do much for your skills. Can you shoot an ILS in an LSA if it’s properly equipped? Sure but are you going to and do so regularly? Work on your maneuvers? Probably not. You see back when it was tough getting hired and there were hundreds who couldn’t get an interview let alone a job you know which pilots weren’t having any issues? Flight instructors, PARTICULARLY MEIs. Because the airlines knew these pilots were out there every day demonstrating and training while also making sure the new guy next to them didn’t make them dead. That’s what makes a good pilot.

So the question isn’t “can” you build the time in an LSA it’s should you? Because even though you will probably get hired you then have to get through newhire training at an airline. You see while an ERJ isn’t an F-22 it ain’t no LSA either and that’s why along with the pilot shortage and EVERYONE and their brother getting hired the fact is Regional failure rates have been increasing as well.

That was probably more than you were asking for but hopefully it’ll give you something to think about.

Btw, I’m not certain but perhaps buying an LSA would be cheaper than renting a Cessna, BUT I do know for a fact getting PAID to instruct definitely is :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I didn’t think about building various skills while building time. Its a good reminder.

Hi, The biggest factor that kept me from taking up CPL training is my age. At 50 years old, non-American citizen and no green card , I am almost certain that no aviation organisation would hire me as flight instructor or pilot to build time.

I was thinking of about how can I build time without being hired until the following ideas struck me:

(a) I can buy an used aircraft to offer charter services in America. As owner of the business, I would not be required to fulfil any flight time requirement. I fly my plane for my customers.

(b) I buy an used aircraft and strike a deal with flight school to include my plane for student hire. Flight school would charge a management fee while I bear for all maintenance expenses. In return, flight school would hire me as one of their flight instructors. I can earn small rental income (hopefully), get a job and build time.

What do you think of above arrangements? Will it work?

Soh,

As a non citizen non green card holder it’s not that no organization would hire you, it’s that they CAN’T hire you. The law states if you’re not a citizen or don’t have permanent resident status you cannot work as a pilot in the US (including instructing). That means if you started this charter business you couldn’t hire yourself either.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks your your prompt reply. I guess I will have to settle my residency matter before taking up flight training.

Soh,

Absolutely. Resolve the residency issue and you will be just fine. Without doing that, it is going to be tough.

Chris